VP Pro training, ? second best hold..

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
RickCook
Forum Newbie

VP Pro training, ? second best hold..

Post by RickCook »

This is 9/6 JoB, VP Pro training.
Dealt:
Q♣ Q♠ A♣ K♣ 3♦

The trainer indicates the following holds:
Q♣ Q♠ = 7.683
Q♣ Q♠ 3♦ = 7.081
Q♣ A♣ K♣ = 7.081
Q♣ Q♠ A♣ = 7.081

I have a screen shot, but don't know how to post it. link to image:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8mfgVE4ZLd9eshuD9

Thanks,
Rick

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

Why would you care what the second best hold is?

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I think you have an error in what you posted. Your screenshot shows a different EV of 6.961 for the QAK hold, and it's below the QQ3, QQA holds. The odds of a 2 pair go down a lot in that hold and you've tossed the JB so I'm not surprised it's lower (even though you do have the obvious shot at a RF)

The others look right I think... QQ3, QQK and QQA are going to have the same return since your only possible wins in both cases are JB (already won), 2P (same odds) 3k (same odds) FH (same odds) and 4K (same odds)

A high pair does rank higher than RF3 on strategy charts for this game, so I don't see a problem.

RickCook
Forum Newbie

Post by RickCook »

I'm not concerned with the right hold in this case. I guess my question is why is holding the 3♦ increased the value of the hand above the others? I don't understand how the 3 is relevant.
Dealt:
Q♣ Q♠ A♣ K♣ 3♦

The trainer indicates the following holds:
Q♣ Q♠ = 7.683 (Best Hold)
Q♣ Q♠ 3♦ = 7.081
Q♣ Q♠ K♣ = 7.081
Q♣ Q♠ A♣ = 7.081
Q♣ A♣ K♣ = 6.961
Last edited by RickCook on Thu May 05, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickCook
Forum Newbie

Post by RickCook »

I have re-read and re-read Eduardo's explanation and thin I understand now. The two pair would be the next best hand and the odds of a QQ22 is the same as QQKK, QQAA.

Thanks for the insight. The 3 was just throwing me and I guess I assumed the value of the RF would elevate the potential EV above the odds.