Contests discourage using VP strategy

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
mamal
Forum Newbie

Contests discourage using VP strategy

Post by mamal »

This is such a good site to learn, practice and hone VP strategy. I don’t understand why the contests are programmed to do just the opposite. Not only does this programming work against a strategy we’ve learned is correct, it disallows us the pleasure of fairly winning a good hand. It’s wrong, it’s frustrating, and it has me wondering if the annual fee is really worth it.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

I'm not at all sure I understand what you mean by all this. It is a fact, though, that playing successfully in a contest usually involves diverting from conventional strategy to a "go for broke" one.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Have you really been a member for over ten years without posting?

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

If you want a strategic contest, the Monthly Contest is your best bet. You still might want to vary your strategy a bit, but playing smart can definitely help you out there. It is single hand, so a dealt royal is no more valuable than a drawn royal. Yes, you'll still need a number of great hands throughout the month. But you have a little more control over earning them rather than the rarity of a dealt winner. There are a lot of things a player can do in that contest to try to gain an edge over the competition.

In the other contests, luck is a much bigger factor because you need the biggest jackpot out of thousands of people. That will usually end up being a dealt royal flush (or aces with kicker in TDB).

mamal
Forum Newbie

Post by mamal »

Thanks, all. I appreciate your comments.
M.A.