Another flaw exploited

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Re: Another flaw exploited

Post by Tedlark »

ed1957 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 pm
Didn't Ron Harris from Nevada Gaming rig Vp machines back in the early 90's.
I thought Ron Harris was a detective in the NYPD's 12th Precinct under Captain Barney Miller. If I remember correctly, Detective Harris often had cases with Sgt. Phil Fish.

Maybe they can look into the rigging of video poker machines?

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

onemoretry wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:15 am
I skimmed through the posts in that thread this morning. A couple of posters said rigging could be done. I did not see the term easily anywhere in the thread except in your own post.

As to your original quest, it is an absolutely valid concern. I just wish that regulatory authorities were required to publish all the results of their machine checks, if, in fact, they do check them.
Excuse me , the post i reffered to called it "simple" not "easy".(asteroid post 9/17/19), sort of interchangeable dontchathink.?

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

ed1957 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:03 pm
Didn't Ron Harris from Nevada Gaming rig Vp machines back in the early 90's.
Ron Harris and an accomplice did in fact reprogram slot machine RNGs to payout jackpots. This was in the 90s in Vegas and AC. No indication whether VP machine RNGs were involved. Presumably, the technological flaw has been corrected during the past 2 decades. See this article for details.https://www.gamblingsites.com/info/famo ... id-mcneal/

ed1957
Forum Newbie

Post by ed1957 »

Thanks for the link. I wonder how he was able to gain entry/ reprogram a machine on the floor in A.C.
without getting seen? We will probably never learn all the details.

stevel96a1
Video Poker Master

Post by stevel96a1 »

wow the man made almost a 50k salary in the early 90s and he wanted more?
sheesh try working a job you hate below the pov line !

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

stevel96a1 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 pm
wow the man made almost a 50k salary in the early 90s and he wanted more?
sheesh try working a job you hate below the pov line !
Sports players do this all of the time. They'll get offered a 30 million/4 year contract, but want 35 million instead. Must really suck to not be able to live on 7.5 million a year.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

tech58 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm
Excuse me , the post i reffered to called it "simple" not "easy".(asteroid post 9/17/19), sort of interchangeable dontchathink.?
Close enough, I guess, for government work.

Call me "picky" if you want, but I can't help observing that, while the process of creating a program that is random, yet not all possible results have equal probability of occurring was called simple, there is no mention at all as to how simple, or not simple, actually altering a video poker machine's programming to incorporate such a change is.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

onemoretry wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:57 pm
tech58 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm
Close enough, I guess, for government work.

Call me "picky" if you want, but I can't help observing that, while the process of creating a program that is random, yet not all possible results have equal probability of occurring was called simple, there is no mention at all as to how simple, or not simple, actually altering a video poker machine's programming to incorporate such a change is.
True enough, for government work. :) BTW i haven't heard that term since i retired from GM.
And i certainly do not have the computer skills to know one way or the other.
To reiterate my quest. I am not claiming any hacking has been done. I simply would like to know if the machines i play are checked and if so by who. Ted i believe may have info on this and i still await his post.
Peace OMT? No harm no foul?
Good luck to you. :up:

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

tech58 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:49 pm
Peace OMT? No harm no foul?
Good luck to you.
All good, as far as I'm concerned! And, good luck to you, as well (we all certainly need it).

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

The below is in every compact between the State of Michigan and each Tribe that I quickly reviewed:

(2) A representative authorized in writing by the Governor of the State shall - - have the following right to inspect all tribal Class 111 gaming facilities and
all tribal records related to Class 111 gaming, including those records set
forth in 5 4(F) herein, subject to the following conditions:

(a) With respect to public areas, at any time without prior notice;

(b) With respect to private areas not accessible to the public, at any
time during normal business hours, with 12 hours prior written
notice; and

(c) With respect to inspection and copying of all tribal records relating
to Class 111 gaming, with 48 hours prior written notice, not
including weekends.

I would consider (2)(a) above to mean that if a complaint were lodged with the State of Michigan and if they got the urge; they could inspect video poker machines on Reservations anytime they wanted.