Why is the trainer picking this hand?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
nomadgurl
Forum Regular

Why is the trainer picking this hand?

Post by nomadgurl »

Using the training software on this website I am playing Joker poker kings are better and I’ve come across two hands that have me baffled. One hand has the joker, Queen Diam, 10 spade,2 club,4 diamond. The pick was joker and 10 spade. ???
Next hand 10 heart, Queen club, joker,4 heart, 9 diamond. Pick was hold joker and 9 diamond. ???

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

More straight flush draws is my guess.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Neither one is a very exciting hold and they are close.

And yes it does seem weird when you consider it. Holding a 9? It might be a tough one to just remember but it looks like it gave you the correct answer.

Slightly better chance at a straight, 33% better chance at a flush (holding the 10 you discard another heart) and a 33% better chance at a SF (though very unlikely!). That just barely gives it an edge over holding the 10. You have a lower chance at a wild royal, but those odds were incredibly small to begin with.

I wouldn't stress out about this one.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Increased chance of a straight flush with Joker-9d. But if another diamond was thrown away, then you'd want to play Joker-Th. Very close play. Joker has a lot of them.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Agreed. This is one of my favorite games. Though I give up a bit over time, I prefer to just hold the joker. Many times I will pair it and get Kings or better or a push thus giving me another shot next deal at something. Also twice in my life, I have ended up with 5 of a kind and quite a few times over time ended up with a quad. Note that just holding the Joker does go against the math. That’s just the way I like to play it especially when playing Martingale clone.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 pm
That’s just the way I like to play it especially when playing Martingale clone.
I was going to give a more complete (albeit technical) answer on holding single cards with the joker in this game until I read this line.

This line told me that giving a technical answer would be a waste of time.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

BobDancer wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 am
But, it wasn't the original poster that offered the "ignoring the math" comment. It wouldn't surprise me at all that they would like to see your technical answer. I know for sure that I would, as the joker-single card holds have always been a bit of a mystery to me.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

BobDancer wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:12 am
olds442jetaway wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:00 pm
That’s just the way I like to play it especially when playing Martingale clone.
I was going to give a more complete (albeit technical) answer on holding single cards with the joker in this game until I read this line.

Sarcastic,elitist,sociopathic, no still doesn't get it.

Whats the word i am looking for?

It starts with an A and ends in a hole!!

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Tech58, I understand you don't like BobDancer's response and the sentiment behind it, but calling people a-holes isn't allowed here, whether it's spelled out or posed in the form of a Wheel of Fortune puzzle. Thanks for your understanding.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Webman wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:56 pm
Tech58, I understand you don't like BobDancer's response and the sentiment behind it, but calling people a-holes isn't allowed here, whether it's spelled out or posed in the form of a Wheel of Fortune puzzle. Thanks for your understanding.
No i don't understand?
Oh it just came to me. Another "business decision", he gets another pass on elitist crap like this against the very people who he wants to do business with because of his alleged stature in the VP world.
Liam Daily must have been the person with business acumen in their ventures.
You can't step on his nuts when he deserves it. I get it. Strictly a"business decision".
When your own one-sided discipline has led to a 50% reduction in site activity since 08/05/19 you might want to do a little soul-searching!