Getting destroyed

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: Getting destroyed

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes hopefully, Bottom line is I can’t even imagine the bankroll needed to play 25 bucks a spin in DDB for an entire year and not get wiped out along the way. I am going to take a wild guess at 1.5 Million. I guess Bob D will know the real answer for perfect play on a just under 99 percent game.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I'm pretty sure everyone that replied to you before suggested you start much slower than this to get a feel for things first. It's good you did some training (very good) but I still think you should have taken quite a bit of time at a much lower denom first in order to get the feel for the swings in this game and make a better decision about whether it will work out for you personally.

Best of luck turning things around!

What does a royal pay at your current denom?

Csak47100
Forum Rookie

Post by Csak47100 »

Thanks for inputs as usual Ed! Well if I get natural it would’ve 20 k , but single one is 4K since I play 5 play DDB . Did ok recently.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

So you are down a total of 13 royal flushes on a 5 play game?! I really doubt your comps are going to make up for that, but I don't play at that level. It would seem almost impossible to recover here on a negative pay table. I'm not sure you have a winning plan here. I would have quit this play well before getting down that much unless you have a TON of coin in that is somehow making up for such a loss in comps.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

The problem with DDB is a session without quads will be a disaster. Quads on this game make up about 20 percent of total return. On job, they only make up about 6 percent of total return so a quadless session on job will be bad , but not as bad as DDB

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:11 pm
I guess Bob D will know the real answer for perfect play on a just under 99 percent game.
yes. the bankroll required for a negative game is infinite.

Playing $50K at a time, your average loss is a bit over $500 per session --- assuming perfect play (which is a heroic assumption.) As others have mentioned, DDB is a volatile game with big swings. Still being down 13 royals is very rare. You're not playing in New York, are you? (the games in the racinos there aren't random.)

You say you practice, but how do you practice? You need to play on VPW playing the hard hands. Playing random hands over and over again won't get you there. The tough hands are rare. Another way to to memorize the hands in the Winner's Guide for that game.

I have played 9/6 DDB with certain promotions --- but it's relatively rare that you have promotions paying enough to overcome the 1% disadvantage.

Csak47100
Forum Rookie

Post by Csak47100 »

Hello , no I play at Nevada and California only . I practice all hands so I’ll start doing only hard ones , thanks for arms I’ve .

I did around million or little over on December and early this year , yea DDB is just too crazy even five play . What game should I be playing to minimize variance? Single line JOB is better or anything better ?

I got couple royals , maybe 5 total ,but not nearly enough to make up losses because it’s only 4K on one hand at five play instead of 20 k ( I never got dealt Royal ok five plY yet , which I’m waiting for badly ).

Csak47100
Forum Rookie

Post by Csak47100 »

I just checked my results , so I did 1.6 million coin in total , and down 52k . I should be only down around 17 k right ?

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

yes,if you hit the average number of royals and other high paying hands during the sample size given ! IF is a big word sometimes !!

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

Csak47100 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:32 am
I just checked my results , so I did 1.6 million coin in total , and down 52k . I should be only down around 17 k right ?
So you played 320K single hands already. That’s a relative large number and you should get at least 20 of 4 aces with kicker and 8 Royals.

But before we move on can you tell us the holdings of following hands on 9/6 DDB when you actually play them?
1. HJ HK CQ HQ C7
2. DJ HQ CA C9 S7
3. HK H10 S9 H5 C3