Learning Video Poker

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
VitaminSpud
Forum Newbie

Learning Video Poker

Post by VitaminSpud »

I'm new to Video poker and trying to learn from the wizardofodds site. But I've stumbled at the first step. On the https://wizardofodds.com/games/video-poker/quiz/ the first question shows the starting hand of;

4D QS JC 3C 10C

and the correct answer to keep is apparently

QS and JC

I'm at a loss as to why you wouldn't keep the 10C as well, leaving yourself only two cards needed to get to a Royal Flush. My understanding is to always try for the highest possible hand in the pay table.
All guidance appreciated!

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

If you are holding the QS and JC, then holding the 10C will not allow for a royal flush (you already have a spade and club in your starting hand).

Going for the highest possible hand in the pay table is an oversimiplification. That would mean hold any single 10 or face card to go for the royal. There is definitely more to it than that. With practice, it will all start to make more sense. Strategy will also depend on which pay table and game you are playing.

You should pick up some training software either here on videopoker.com or elsewhere.

VitaminSpud
Forum Newbie

Post by VitaminSpud »

Thank you Eduardo :)

Can anyone recommend a plain english, non jargon/technical explanation of how to make decisions of what to hold? If I look at this practice question (with the answer added below) I'm lost as to why the corrent answer is that you should be holding the ten as well as the queen.

VitaminSpud
Forum Newbie

Post by VitaminSpud »

Here's another one;

How are there 3 ways i might make jacks or better? only another queen would get me a pair surely?

VitaminSpud
Forum Newbie

Post by VitaminSpud »

At the risk of spamming this thread (sorry), how on earth would you ever know to keep these two cards as opposed to any other combination? Does everyone use software alongside playing to tell them the best card(s) to hold? How do you learn this stuff ? Serious question from a beginner.

verylowroller
Forum Rookie

Post by verylowroller »

I agree with Eduardo - pick up some training software as soon as possible. With some decent software I bet you will pick this up very quickly and hands that seem counterintuitive will soon make sense. Without training software, I would not know where to start when it comes to learning video poker.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

VitaminSpud wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm
Here's another one;

How are there 3 ways i might make jacks or better? only another queen would get me a pair surely?
Queen of Spades, Queen of Hearts, and Queen of Clubs.

Similarly, the 9 cards that would get you a flush are of course the other 9 diamonds in the deck.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

VitaminSpud wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:25 pm
At the risk of spamming this thread (sorry), how on earth would you ever know to keep these two cards as opposed to any other combination? Does everyone use software alongside playing to tell them the best card(s) to hold? How do you learn this stuff ? Serious question from a beginner.
Although the strategy for JoB seems overwhelming, it's rather easy. There aren't too many tricky hands. As you practice more and more, you'll pick it up as you go.

Gronbog

Post by Gronbog »

VitaminSpud wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:25 pm
VitaminSpud, instead of trying to understand the nuances of every single individual hand for the purposes of making your decisions, you should know that the strategies for each game are generally summarized into a relatively short list of rules which tell you the priorities of what to hold when you have a choice. You are already on the Wizard of Odds site, so look up his "simple" strategy for the game you are playing first. He may also have a complete strategy. These are all you need in order to actually play the game effectively.

Once you have these rules down, if you want to expand your knowledge of the game, you can start looking into why each hold makes sense. The tool you are already using is a good resource as are the various software programs available.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

VitaminSpud wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:20 pm
Here's another one;

Your statement about only another queen will give you a high pair is correct. But there are three queens left in the pack of 47 cards. Namely Qc, Qs, Qh. Each of them counts.

The most written information in one place about this game is the Dancer/Daily Winners Guide for Video Poker: Volume 1 Jacks or Better. It's a 120-page workbook. The questions you've asked so far are answered in the first ten pages or so, but once you understand these basics, you'll be able to progress.

Jacks or Better is arguably the simplest game to play perfectly --- but it is by no means trivial to do so.