Three to a royal and three to a special with a kicker

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Player422738
VP Veteran

Re: Three to a royal and three to a special with a kicker

Post by Player422738 »

In 9/7, 9/6 TDB,

Do you keep three to a royal over any paying pair? AA > 3RF with 0 or 1 gap > JJ/QQ/KK > 3RF with A and 10.
Do you also keep the kicker and get just 1 card instead of 2 on the deal? Always hold the kicker.
Do you do the same for double-double (9/6, 10/6)? Never.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

hophoofer wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm
In 9/7, 9/6 TDB,

Do you keep three to a royal over any paying pair? AA > 3RF with 0 or 1 gap > JJ/QQ/KK > 3RF with A and 10.
Do you also keep the kicker and get just 1 card instead of 2 on the deal? Always hold the kicker.
Hop, I can't believe I, as a strictly non-math recreational player, am correcting your short answer regarding DDB. If I read his question correctly, You are right that one never holds the kicker in straight ddb. However, in the case of three to a royal vs a paying pair, according to BD's "VP for the Intelligent Beginner" (my social isolation reading the last few months), in 9/6 DDB you always hold AA over any 3 to the RF, KK over any 3 to the RF except KQJ, and QQ/JJ over any 3 to the RF except KQJ and QJT. Hopefully, BD reads this and can confirm my understanding.

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

OTABILL wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:07 pm
hophoofer wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:19 pm
In 9/7, 9/6 TDB,

Hop, I can't believe I, as a strictly non-math recreational player, am correcting your short answer regarding DDB. If I read his question correctly, You are right that one never holds the kicker in straight ddb. However, in the case of three to a royal vs a paying pair, according to BD's "VP for the Intelligent Beginner" (my social isolation reading the last few months), in 9/6 DDB you always hold AA over any 3 to the RF, KK over any 3 to the RF except KQJ, and QQ/JJ over any 3 to the RF except KQJ and QJT. Hopefully, BD reads this and can confirm my understanding.
Yes, what you said is absolutely correct for DDB.

In TDB 9/6 or 9/7 if you are dealt suited JQA and Q and 7, for example, you hold 3RF instead of QQ. :D

Btw, 9/6 TDB and 9/6 DDB are very different in terms of holding strategy, however 9/7/4 or 9/6/5 TDB and 9/6 DDB are fundamentally different.