Which would you choose?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Jstark
Video Poker Master

Re: Which would you choose?

Post by Jstark »

OTABILL wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:43 pm
Jstark wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:51 pm
Well, not counting progressives or gimmick games, for DDB to be over 99% it would have to be either 50/10/6 or 40/10/6. So my answer would be DDB.
I am a little confused. I've seen 50/10/6 but never heard of 40/10/6 for k-5 quads and the SF. Did you mean and rather than or which would describe some machines at Fort McDowell in AZ which had DDB 50/10/6 (except for the SF which was 40/10/6) when I last checked over a year ago,
As Bob noted, the 40 is for the straight flush and returns 99.96% with optimal play. We had it here for for $5 and $10. Soaring Eagle has it for as low as quarters.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

BobDancer wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:27 pm
For those who think JoB is too boring, try playing the $100 game, which is $500 per hand. You won't find it boring. I promise.
Ditto for 50 line, $2, and a bit smoother ride, as well.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

BobDancer wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:27 pm
I refer to the game as 10/6/40 and the 40 only refers to the SF. (I know what JStark meant when he called it 40/10/6 --- and the message is the same --- it's just not the way I prefer to say it.) It returns 99.96%, which, of course, is unplayable without a slot club because the house has the advantage.

Now the Four Queens in downtown Vegas has the game for single-line half-dollars and dollars, with a 0.3125% cash slot club, double that in comps, and mailers. In June, july and August they have a play $32,000 coin-in and receive an extra $400 free play and $140 in comps each month over and above the normal slot club. That game is very playable. They also have quarter and dollar 9/6 JoB, but at 0.42% less payout, I wouldn't consider the lesser game. If people had serious bankroll concerns, either actual or psychological, then yes, JoB might be a better choice.

To me, variance isn't particularly relevant for these stakes. I don't favor DDB for the excitement or shun JoB for the boredom or favor JoB because you can lose less when it goes bad. (If you go quadless, you'll lose a LOT more at DDB than you will at JoB.) It's the EV that matters. One game with a higher EV by 0.42% is as close to a no-brainer as it comes for me. I play to earn money. Period.

For those who think JoB is too boring, try playing the $100 game, which is $500 per hand. You won't find it boring. I promise.
Bob, thanks for the clarification and jargon lesson. No idea what are the FM players club comps since we were going there for bingo and didn't play enough to warrant free play, etc. I know they existed pre Covid-19. No, thank you, $100 JoB for me. I'll stick 99% of the time with $0.25 single line.