Ultimate X / Pro Training Question

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
crxsti
Forum Newbie

Ultimate X / Pro Training Question

Post by crxsti »

Hi,

I sent an inquiry last Monday via the help/support page:

https://videopoker.custhelp.com/app/ask

but I am hoping that someone on the forum can help answer my question.

I have a gold membership now and I am considering upgrading to the Pro membership particularly because I would like to get corrections on Ultimate X. I understand that the Pro membership only provides correction on 3/5 Play Ultimate X.

My question is: How far off with respect to EV would I be should I learn the 5-play strategy for 7-5 Bonus Poker, 9-6 Double Double Bonus Poker and pNSU Deuces Wild and apply that strategy to the 10-play versions of those games?

I am familiar with the software/app that provides corrections for all versions of Ultimate X, but the interface for that program is very cumbersome. I would like a more authentic experience such as that provided by this website, but it would be useful to know how much EV I'm foregoing if I were to apply the 5-play strategy to a 10-play version of the game.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help provide an answer.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

It's unclear how you intend to use 5 play UX strategy on a 10 play game. A 5 play strategy will start off with all 130K+ unique hands and include strategy variations for all sum-of-multipliers between 5x (i.e. no multipliers) and 60x (i.e. a dealt full house last hand). On many hands there will be no strategy variations with changing multipliers. Many will have one play for sum-of-multipliers less than 19 (for example), and another strategy for multipliers above that. A few will have three or more plays for different sum-of-multipliers.

Assuming you created a strategy for this (HUGE assumption --- planing on taking a couple of years of full-time work per game), how are you going to translate this to a game with sum-of-multipliers ranging between 10x and 120x?

You say you have found a 10 play version of 9/6 DDB UX? That's a 99.8%+ game --- certainly well worth playing. (Not in Vegas, insofar as I know). If I knew of a place like that, I'd invest my time in the Wizard of Odds one-size-fits-all strategy. It's nowhere near perfect, and you're give up about 0.1% to use it, but given that such a juicy game can disappear at any moment, you're far better off getting on it with a decent strategy than spending years getting a perfect (and extremely complicated) strategy.

crxsti
Forum Newbie

Post by crxsti »

Thanks Bob. I was hoping that it might be you who answered my question.

I do have the Wizard's simplified strategy, and the last sentence of your reply pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

I'm a big fan of yours and your radio show / podcast by the way. I hope to get to meet you in Vegas someday at the South Point.