King ten suited? Mixed EV

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Nathan G
Forum Newbie

King ten suited? Mixed EV

Post by Nathan G »

Hello all,

First post here and just started picking up video poker. Las vegas local and would like to grind my way to 7 stars.

*EDIT*, playing 9/6 JoB
So I purchased the training software. There is one hand that I has me completely confused. Say you are dealt something like Ks Ts 6d 2h 3c. For some reason, it seems like half the time the software indicates that holding the KT suited is more profitable than holding the K. However other times, even if the hand composition is almost the exact same, it says that holding JUST the K is the higher EV play.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? I play a ton of live poker here in Vegas so I understand hand rankings, outs, EV etc, just very confused on what makes the KT suited a hold versus when you are just supposed to hold only the K.

Thanks in advance for any insight, truly appreciated.
Last edited by Nathan G on Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

You don't say what game you are practicing, but I'm guessing 8/5 Bonus Poker.

On a hand that starts out KT of spades, if one of the other three (smaller) cards is a spade, you hold the K by itself. If none of the other three cards is a spade, you hold the KT.

it's called a flush penalty.

There are numerous such penalties in this game and the best source for learning about them is the Dancer/Daily Winner's Guide for Jacks or Better. That volume also includes Bonus Poker.

Keep in mind that earning Seven Stars by playing video poker in Las Vegas will be an expensive proposition.

Nathan G
Forum Newbie

Post by Nathan G »

BobDancer wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:05 am
You don't say what game you are practicing, but I'm guessing 8/5 Bonus Poker.

On a hand that starts out KT of spades, if one of the other three (smaller) cards is a spade, you hold the K by itself. If none of the other three cards is a spade, you hold the KT.

it's called a flush penalty.

There are numerous such penalties in this game and the best source for learning about them is the Dancer/Daily Winner's Guide for Jacks or Better. That volume also includes Bonus Poker.

Keep in mind that earning Seven Stars by playing video poker in Las Vegas will be an expensive proposition.
Thanks for the reply Bob. Edited the post, however playing 9/6 JoB.

Perhaps this leads to a more fundamental knowledge gap: when a player discards a card, does that card no longer have the opportunity to show up when I discard? Because if so, then the card removal component makes sense to me for skewing keeping the KTs or just the K.

On 7 stars calcs, if I calculate correctly, I would need to acquire 5k TC's 8.3 times (IE, earn 5k TC's + the 10k tier bonus earnings) to reach the current 125k for & stars. That would equate to roughly $1.04 million coin in (assuming a $25 coin in per TC on a 9/6 JoB) for a theoretical loss of $4.7k? Just wanted to put my numbers out there in case anyone wanted to spot check to ensure I'm not missing a variable in my calcs.

Waiting4RF
VP Veteran

Post by Waiting4RF »

Have you thought about waiting until next year to see if 7 stars benefits will change. If you earn 7 stars next year, you get the benefits next year and the following year if Caesars Rewards still works the same.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Are there 9/6 JOB games in Vegas that earn TC at $25 per point?
What Seven Star benefits are you trying to use? I assume you don't need the rooms.
Even if your numbers are correct, and I'm not sure they are, you will be paying about $90 a week to belong to the club.( $4700 divided b 52 weeks.)
I don't know much about the Seven Stars benefits but $90 a week seems like a steep price for membership in a VIP program.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Just to add: Please remember that Seven Stars is by invitation only, just because you earn the number of tier credits required doesn't mean you will get it. Not trying to be a wet blanket, just a realist.

Good luck to you though in your quest.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Tedlark wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:28 am
Just to add: Please remember that Seven Stars is by invitation only, just because you earn the number of tier credits required doesn't mean you will get it. Not trying to be a wet blanket, just a realist.

Good luck to you though in your quest.
Really? Is that just a ploy to make you feel special or do many people who qualify not get the invitation.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

In non-progressives 9/6 JoB, always hold KT suited unless you also have another of that suit AND a 9. Then you only hold the K.

Example is K♠️ T♠️ 9♦️ 6♣️ 2♠️. This one is easy to remember.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Tedlark wrote:

Just to add: Please remember that Seven Stars is by invitation only, just because you earn the number of tier credits required doesn't mean you will get it.
Technically, you are correct. That provision is used primarily when you have unpaid markers. Once you pay off your markers, you'll be accepted.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

BobDancer wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 11:15 am
Tedlark wrote:

Just to add: Please remember that Seven Stars is by invitation only, just because you earn the number of tier credits required doesn't mean you will get it.
Technically, you are correct. That provision is used primarily when you have unpaid markers. Once you pay off your markers, you'll be accepted.
That makes sense.