Confused about this hold 9/6 Jacks or better

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Jstark
Video Poker Master

Re: Confused about this hold 9/6 Jacks or better

Post by Jstark »

It may only use a generic basic strategy and not use what's optimal. Would be interesting to see someone punch in these 2 hands and see what is shows:

A♥️K♥️10♥️7♠️3♥️
A♥️K♥️10♥️7♠️3♣️

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

onemoretry wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:42 am
So, it appears to be unanimous - the best hold for the hand in the OP's post is the suited QJ.

Does this mean his Winpoker APP does, indeed, have a glitch, or is there some other explanation for its inaccurate advice?
Like what I said, Winpoker on my iPhone gives me the correct holding. There isn't any glitch.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

Jstark wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:20 pm
It may only use a generic basic strategy and not use what's optimal. Would be interesting to see someone punch in these 2 hands and see what is shows:

A♥️K♥️10♥️7♠️3♥️
A♥️K♥️10♥️7♠️3♣️
The 7 here should be a Q,J,or 10 here.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

hophoofer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:45 pm
Like what I said, Winpoker on my iPhone gives me the correct holding.
But, his Winpoker didn't produce the same result. Why would that be?

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

So how is Winpoker? Are you a satisfied customer? Assuming it can be discussed.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

FAA wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:10 pm
So how is Winpoker? Are you a satisfied customer? Assuming it can be discussed.
I am definitely a satisfied customer. I purchased my copy of Winpoker in the early to mid 90s, and have amassed probably several thousand hours using it to work out and practise strategies for various VP games.

I will say, though, that my Winpoker usage is nowhere near what it used to be, as I have much less interest now in learning new games.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Is it for both phone and PC, opening the site and logging in?

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

FAA wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:38 pm
Is it for both phone and PC, opening the site and logging in?
I bought that software in the early 90s. I think it's for PC only. Were phones, as you are referring to them, even around then?

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

I'm no longer associated with WinPoker, but it's still a good product. Dean Zamzow, the guy behind all things WinPoker, brought out a version for iPhones and iPads (there are differences) quite a while ago. At one point he decided to stop updating the iPad version because Apple doesn't make it's products backwards compatible. That is, whenever a new version of IOS comes out, he has to start over again. What the current status is, I don't know.

I'm willing to bet that original hand discussed was always played correctly by WinPoker, in whatever version. If you thought it played wrong, it was either a different game than 9/6 JoB, or you changed the pay schedule for some reason (perhaps the straight flush paid more or less) and you didn't remember you changed it.

If you still can't figure it out, contact Dean@zamzone.com. If he has an error in the code (doubtful after all these years on such a basic game where he would have have hundreds of complaints over the years, but anything is possible), I'm sure he wants to know about it.