Confused about this hold 9/6 Jacks or better

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Hotshooter
Forum Rookie

Confused about this hold 9/6 Jacks or better

Post by Hotshooter »

Could someone please explain to me why contradiction on holds between Video Poker for Winners software and the Winpoker Software
9/6 Jacks or better
8S JC KD AD QC

Video Poker For Winners play perfect strategy says hold 2 to a Royal JC and QC
while the Winpoker APP says hold 4 to a straight

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

My Winpoker software says the 2 to a royal JC and QC is correct.

Hotshooter
Forum Rookie

Post by Hotshooter »

The Winpoker software i was talking about is the APP for the Iphone maybe there is a glitch in that one. Let me rephrase that, it didn't holding the 2 to a Royalsay i was wrong, it said it was the second best play

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

Indeed, instead of correct, I should have said best play. My version of Winpoker was purchased about 25 years or so ago, and is installed on a desktop computer.

My JOB strategy card does indicate that the 8 of spades is a penalty card to the QJ making the four card straight the better play, but not for 9/6 JOB, rather the 8/6 version.

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

In 9/6 JoB, If 8 was 9 or there was flush penalty card, then hold all 4 high cards, otherwise go for suited JQ.

Bob dancer’s strategy card has this covered

Player422738
VP Veteran

Post by Player422738 »

Hotshooter wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:49 am
The Winpoker software i was talking about is the APP for the Iphone maybe there is a glitch in that one. Let me rephrase that, it didn't holding the 2 to a Royalsay i was wrong, it said it was the second best play
Looking good on my end

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

hophoofer wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:10 am
Looking good on my end
Thanks for the chart. I think the chart is a great tool if you want a deep understanding because you can see the full ranking of possible holds with precise EVs.

In this case the JKAQ hold is only a very small error, which I would consider insignificant.

The Wizard provides three tiers of strategy for 9/6 JoB. The 16-line simple strategy gets you 99.46% EV. 25-line intermediate strategy is 99.52%. And the lengthy optimal strategy achieves 99.54%.

Intermediate strategy is an excellent compromise for a serious but not obsessive player. It ignores penalty card situations entirely. AKQJ always outranks any two suited high cards. Technically that's a mistake, but not an overall costly one.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

AKQJx where QJ is suited. Hold QJ suited unless x is a 9 or a flush penalty.

A♠️K♥️Q♣️J♣️4♥️ hold QJ♣️
A♠️K♥️Q♣️J♣️9♠️ hold AKQJ
A♠️K♥️Q♣️J♣️3♣️ hold AKQJ
A♠️K♥️Q♣️J♣️8♣️ hold QJ8♣️

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

Also and obviously, but just in case*, A♠️K♥️Q♣️J♣️10(♠️♥️♣️or♦️) is a straight and you'd hold the whole hand.

* Yes there will be people asking what cards to hold.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

So, it appears to be unanimous - the best hold for the hand in the OP's post is the suited QJ.

Does this mean his Winpoker APP does, indeed, have a glitch, or is there some other explanation for its inaccurate advice?