Taking the Mickey

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
DougJ

Taking the Mickey

Post by DougJ »

So, a self-professed VP "expert" wants us all to know that when you are playing a progressive machine, and you are dealt a "jackpot" hand, that it is fabulous to wait it out, don't immediately hit the draw button (if machine doesn't "lock up"), so that one can let the progressive rise AN EXTRA DOLLAR.

When I lived in England, that was called "taking the MIckey" and that's what happening here to anyone who follows such nonsense. Some people have a lot of time on their hands, some people have mini common sense, I for one am not sweating that extra dollar. :D

This from the "expert" who never tipped the buffet waitress. :roll: :roll: :roll:

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I'd be so stunned and panicky that I'd hold everything immediately. Who the hell cares about a buck at this point?! Hold and roll!

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

You have to remember, some of these players are so paranoid about giving away anything, that they need to remember the correct play to save themselves 2 CENTS every 4 hours or so. :lol:

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I'll try to remember this for the half hour per trip that I actually play a progressive. That one in a zillion dealt hand has to arrive eventually.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

DougJ wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:50 am
So, a self-professed VP "expert" wants us all to know that when you are playing a progressive machine, and you are dealt a "jackpot" hand, that it is fabulous to wait it out, don't immediately hit the draw button (if machine doesn't "lock up"), so that one can let the progressive rise AN EXTRA DOLLAR.

When I lived in England, that was called "taking the MIckey" and that's what happening here to anyone who follows such nonsense. Some people have a lot of time on their hands, some people have mini common sense, I for one am not sweating that extra dollar. :D

This from the "expert" who never tipped the buffet waitress. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I did read the article and this and thought what the hell!!! Maybe old age is setting in.
I think the tip was one buck since the waitress did serve water.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

For those not knowing which article was being referred to, I posted this on Tuesday https://www.lasvegasadvisor.com/gamblin ... -the-risk/

Nobody has to follow my advice, although I would prefer if I weren't libeled concerning tipping buffet waitresses.

A strong player is ALWAYS looking for an edge --- and avoiding situations where the edge does not exist. I realize that many of you here play video poker even when the house has the edge. To each his own. Not me.

The purpose of that article was to bring attention to gaining an edge that many people hadn't considered. Some people appreciated that. Some people choose to publicly sneer at that particular method. I see this as their problem, not mine. Take the advice you can use and ignore the rest.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

A "strong player" isn't worried about one dollar once every 2 weeks or so.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Jstark wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:57 am
Strong players take advantage of opportunities.
Ankle biters try to drag people down to their level.
That's why some players get to live in Green Valley and others have to live in North Vegas.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

Jstark wrote:
The anti-Bob argument is that $1 is irrelevant compared to a $2302 jackpot.

But in my view he added $1 to his win rate for the hour. If his hourly is $50 (including meter move), he becomes a $51 player each hour the scenario occurs. You can still debate the decision, but I would do the same as Bob in that spot.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

billryan wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:17 am
Jstark wrote:
Strong players take advantage of opportunities.
Ankle biters try to drag people down to their level.
That's why some players get to live in Green Valley and others have to live in North Vegas.
This is NOT a "strong" play. In fact, it's quite stupid. I equate it to slot AP's speed stopping games like Buffalo Diamond or Farmville. Bad idea.

As someone pointed out in the comments on the article, just tip a dollar or 2 less.