Taking the Mickey

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Jstark
Video Poker Master

Re: Taking the Mickey

Post by Jstark »

dinghy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:53 am
Jstark wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:57 am
A "strong player" isn't worried about one dollar once every 2 weeks or so.
The anti-Bob argument is that $1 is irrelevant compared to a $2302 jackpot.

But in my view he added $1 to his win rate for the hour. If his hourly is $50 (including meter move), he becomes a $51 player each hour the scenario occurs. You can still debate the decision, but I would do the same as Bob in that spot.
AWAK is dealt once in 216,580 hands on average. At a fast 1000 hands per hour, that's about once every 216.58 hours that you'll get that extra $1. That's equal to an extra 0.46172315 cents per hour. LESS THAN HALF A PENNY PER HOUR! And all of this is if the amount is about to flip to the next dollar.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I'm still not clear on why you seem to care so much. People can do it or not if they want to. It's just something to think about.

I personally wouldn't wait. But I also wouldn't get uptight about someone suggesting the idea. It's almost certain I will never even find myself in this situation. It's a lengthy analysis for something that most people won't encounter. But so what...

Who cares? :lol:

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

BobDancer wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:42 am
. . . .
Nobody has to follow my advice, although I would prefer if I weren't libeled concerning tipping buffet waitresses.

. . .
The purpose of that article was . . .
(1) :D :D :D You yourself post about NOT tipping - - - - oh , maybe unless the poor M buffet waitress did something like bring you hot crab legs. :roll: :roll: Otherwise, SAVE THAT DOLLAR, read a book and pretend you don't see a waitress picking up dirty buffet plates and bringing drinks to table. :roll:

(2) IMHO, the purpose of the article: TAKING THE MICKEY. Any publicity, even bad, is better than no publicity. :wacko:

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

March 16th . . . the day the phrase, "you can't fix stupid" was created.

BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Post by BobDancer »

Jstark wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 am

The anti-Bob argument is that $1 is irrelevant compared to a $2302 jackpot.

. . .

AWAK is dealt once in 216,580 hands on average. At a fast 1000 hands per hour, that's about once every 216.58 hours that you'll get that extra $1. That's equal to an extra 0.46172315 cents per hour. LESS THAN HALF A PENNY PER HOUR! And all of this is if the amount is about to flip to the next dollar.
Boy you do go on!

It's not $1 compared to a $2302 jackpot. It's $1 compared to a $301. Getting at least $2001 is always a fallback position.

Dealt AWAK itself might add a half-cent per hour --- actually far less because a relatively small percentage of the time do I play dollar 9/6 DDB progressive. There are other dealt hand situations relating to progressives that are similar. some are quite a bit bigger than this. Once you open yourself to the possibility of such a play, you'll see other cases as well.

This is not a one-trick-pony play that's the only play in my arsenal. There are somewhere between several dozens and several hundreds of plays I make periodically to increase my edge. Sometimes gain a little. Sometimes gain a lot. I never know which one will be relevant the next time I go out because every time is a bit different. But I can only explain one at a time. It's more of a mindset that will help one succeed.

I see myself as a teacher. A very high percentage of winning video poker players have learned some things from me, or from others that have learned from me. Likely including yourself. If one particular idea doesn't float your boat, okay. That's always your choice. But why make this an excuse to make personal attacks against me?

Making one or two posts saying that you disagree that this is a good idea is perfectly acceptable --- people comment on my columns all the time, and not always do they think my advice is spot on. Making lots and lots of posts with personal digs should not be acceptable. There are sometimes consequences here for doing that, and it's better for everybody if we don't go down that path.

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

People who don't like criticism shouldn't post on public forums.

I am in full possession of my mental faculties, and clearly recall the pointless vendetta against FloridaPhil for ALLEGEDLY posting repeatedly about the same topic, and for ALLEGEDLY leading readers down the garden path. FloridaPhil was wrongfully berated for posting his VP strategies/views even though it was everyone's choice to (a) not read his posts and/or (b) not take his advice. Simple.

Funny, then, how certain folks here can post tripe, and then warn folks about "consequences" for what is "perceived" as unacceptable digs. Keyboard warriors liked to personally attack FloridaPhil (just one example), have a temper tantrum about leaving the forum (if FloridaPhil doesn't), and then insist that others toe the imaginary line in the sand.

Facts.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I hope Phil and Judy are doing well. I met both of them twice at Mohegan Sun and they are very nice people.

Jstark
Video Poker Master

Post by Jstark »

Maybe some people need that extra dollar so they don't have to sneak food out of the buffets. :up:

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

Jstark wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:30 am
Maybe some people need that extra dollar so they don't have to sneak food out of the buffets. :up:
+1.

Actually, I think the story goes that they sneak food out of a hotel breakfast set-up, while not actually a registered guest of that hotel. . . . and call it an AP moment. :D

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:39 pm
I hope Phil and Judy are doing well. I met both of them twice at Mohegan Sun and they are very nice people.
:up: :up: