Progressives and added value?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
pokerforme

Progressives and added value?

Post by pokerforme »

This was never something I played or looked for unless we saw something that looks “better” than the best pay tables we were already playing. Using JOB 9/6 at the .25 level or DDB 9/6 also at .25 how do you calculate the additional value of the different payouts? If someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. The table I ran into was $1240 for the royal, $72 for SF, and around $50 for 4 of a kind. Just had no idea over the base payout what the value was

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

pokerforme wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:17 pm
The table I ran into was $1240 for the royal, $72 for SF, and around $50 for 4 of a kind.
Wizard of Odds video poker analyzer will calculate the expected value for you. You just need to convert the dollar amounts to coins (multiply by 4). JOB 9/6 is normally 99.54%, but jumps up to 103.66% for the #s above. That's a really big 4 of a kind as the normal base value is only $31.25.

Wizard also has a strategy maker tool, except it uses single-coin values so you have to multiply by 4 and divide by 5. Or multiply by 0.8.

pokerforme

Post by pokerforme »

Yeah you are correct it was under $33. I got that wrong in my question. Thanks for the response!

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

On JOB, the progressive only affects the RF.

pokerforme

Post by pokerforme »

Not on this machine FAA, this is in Nevada. Also the pay table is slightly better than 9/6 :)
Funny I saw this but didn’t know how to figure it in. Should have taken some pictures of the payouts on the 5 types of VP that were offered, but with dinghy’s help I can say every one of them were positive from what me and the wife could remember. With JOB being the highest. You are correct in the fact this is the first grouping of machines that pay progressives besides the royal I have seen in awhile, something I used to see regularly years ago.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Machines that players actually are excited to play. That definitely makes a session trip worthwhile. A typical extra $20 to $100 RF doesn’t exactly float my boat.

pokerforme

Post by pokerforme »

Exactly. And on DDB it’s a progressive for SF, AWAK, 4aces, 2-4 WAK etc. extra fun and value.