When drawing one card for a top pay...

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
JJ-USA
Forum Newbie

When drawing one card for a top pay...

Post by JJ-USA »

For example, four cards of a royal, or four of a kind in 2P AC joker wild. I know the decks are shuffling away at a rate of about 2x per second. Theoretically you have the same chances 1/47 for the royal, and 1/48 for the five of a kind. What's everyone's thoughts on how fast to draw to hit that big one. I mostly play UX and Hot Roll, so sometimes it can be a huge hit. I feel like it might be better to wait a minute or two, maybe more, because as the deck is shuffling at blazing speed, about twice a second will be the card you need, and the longer you wait, the more times your card is possible to hit. Am i off base with that thought? I was dealt 3 jacks with the joker on hot roll with a 10X dice. It would have been 10K for any jack I drew. I waited probably 20-30 seconds to draw for it, and by the would have been, you already know I missed it. Still it paid ok for the four of a kind with the 10X. I've tried the waiting game idea in UX after being dealt a hand with an 8, 10 or 12X multiplier, and the usual outcome is all that suspense for that crummy hand? Anyways, what's your takes on this? Thanks.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

JJ-USA wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:12 pm
Am i off base with that thought?
Yes. No matter how fast the shuffle is (I think it's a lot more than two per second), and how long you wait to hit draw, the likelihood of drawing that one card you want does not change.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

I am fairly sure its more than 2 per second . When i have 4 to royal dealt to me I always pause , then if I dont connect I say why didnt I wait another second or so , this will lead to psychosis so watch out !!

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I don’t think it matters. I usually wait about five seconds to make sure all cards are still held. Once in a blue moon, the hold disappears on a defective machine with sticky or worn out buttons. I have even seen a hold disappear when holding on the glass, but that is very rare.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

Waiting does not change the odds but the results change , for good or for bad . The reason to pause is to make sure u have the correct hold in place as u alluded to Olds !! You get a check and a star for today Olds ! and I still owe u a meal from way back when ! I did not forget !!

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Waiting will not change the odds of that hand, but waiting ten or twenty seconds will help you in the long run. You are playing each hand at a disadvantage so the longer you pause before hitting the draw button not only gives you more time to correct for mistakes but it also reduces the number of hands you'll play. Less hands played equals less money lost. Win, Win.

Now if you are playing a game where you have an advantage due to a promo or something, you want to play as fast as possible but unless you are Bob Dancer level pro, those advantages don't happen very often, if at all.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Don't listen to these people. You are on the right track but a minute or two is far too long. Based on the rate of electrons in modern day chips, you should draw closer to 17.2 or 17.3 seconds. Try it and I guarantee you will be successful twice as often as walking away from the machine 50% of the time without drawing.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Eduardo wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:02 pm
Don't listen to these people. You are on the right track but a minute or two is far too long. Based on the rate of electrons in modern day chips, you should draw closer to 17.2 or 17.3 seconds. Try it and I guarantee you will be successful twice as often as walking away from the machine 50% of the time without drawing.
If the RNG is at all tied to the internal clock, it should also depend on your time zone ... and whether or not Daylight Saving Time is in effect. ;)

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

You are playing each hand at a disadvantage so the longer you pause before hitting the draw button not only gives you more time to correct for mistakes but it also reduces the number of hands you'll play. Less hands played equals less money lost. Win, Win.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Socratic level reply. Slow your roll, retain bank roll. At least you'll keep about a quarter of it. I almost broke even on such a system on my last trip and highly recommend it.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I have found one thing for sure. The more I lose, the faster I play. This is bad for there will be more mistakes as well. Some are the machine and some are mine.