Cost of ignoring FP&SP in JOB ?

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
BobDancer
Video Poker Master

Re: Cost of ignoring FP&SP in JOB ?

Post by BobDancer »

The penalty cards in 9/6 Jacks or Better are relatively few, relatively easy, and, as Tech58 pointed out, not worth much. (There are more in addition to fp and sp --- like the "two pair penalty" for being dealt a hand like a suited AKT4 and another ten. The correct play is AKT4 and it too is rare and not worth much.)

Assuming the 0.02% from 9/6 JoB applies to other games as well isn't correct. Most other vp games have more penalty card situations, more difficult ones, and worth more than what you find in 9/6 JoB.

My reputation is for going after every penalty card situation. And that's mostly a well-deserved reputation. But for me it's not about the 0.02% or whatever number the penalty cards add.

Taking the time to master these penalty card situations usually means you're practicing the entire game more and more. And while you're learning these hands, you're also learning the basic hands better and better. There's no penalty card situation here, but hands such as A "KQ" J 7, "345" 'QJ', Q 'JT' 54, and a whole bunch of others are played differently in one game compared to another. It takes considerable practice and study to play all of these "non-penalty-card" correctly as well.

For me it's about playing ALL the hands correctly, not just the sub-set of hands that someone has labeled 'penalty-card' hands. Practicing the tough hands gives me enough repetition on the medium-tough hands that I get to master those as well. And playing all the hands correctly adds up to considerably more than 0.02%.

Whatever your goal is insofar as mastering a certain percentage of hands is, you're probably going to fall short. If you goal is perfection, you MUST fall short at least some of the time because none of us is perfect. I guess my point is that when you strive for 100% accuracy, you can probably get to 99.9%. When you only strive for 99.98% accuracy (meaning you omit the penalty card distinctions), you're likely to only het 99.8% of that, max, because you're simply not trying so hard.