My Wakeup Call: Poor Bankroll Management

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
tech58
Video Poker Master

Re: My Wakeup Call: Poor Bankroll Management

Post by tech58 »

ukaserex wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:03 pm
I should probably keep reading and say nothing, as the advice you've gotten so far is accurate.
The only way to profit from Video Poker is from the free play and other perks from the Player's Club, and perhaps your slot host.
Even when a machine is 101% payback (haven't seen it since 1998) you can still lose a good bit over time if the jackpot isn't showing you love.

This may seem counter intuitive, but get to know your slot host. Sometimes, when your bankroll is low, they can find comps you didn't know you had coming to you. (and sometimes, not. It all depends on your usual spend and the policies at the place you're gambling.)

I take my slot host cookies for Christmas, as kind of a tip for taking such good care of me, particularly when I'm feeling miserly over Christmas with so many obligations for presents. She may throw them away, for all I know, but she seems to appreciate it. I tell her to always give me the worst non-smoking room she has, as all I need is a decent internet connection for impromptu work issues that are always coming up unexpectedly. It's kind of like a running joke, because almost every time I say it, I get a suite.

Seems fair, though. I lose quite a bit in cash - but the food is quite good, and it's always nice to have the meals comped for me and the family around the holidays. If I take into account what I'd pay at a restaurant, I barely come out ahead, so it's all good. Just enough for some tips, and I feel I'm breaking even.
An excellent post UK. Full of hard earned tips for veterans as well as newbies. :up: