Paymar's EV|High Cards and Suited 10s JoB

Discuss proper hold strategies and "advantage play" and ask questions about how to improve your play.
Kasfeldt7
Forum Rookie

Paymar's EV|High Cards and Suited 10s JoB

Post by Kasfeldt7 »

Hey all. Jumping back into VP after taking a break for a number of years.

I learned VP through Paymar's "Optimum Play" and successfully (luckily) used his "Precision Play" to net a Royal Flush and then promptly quit playing VP.

My question is that Paymar claims his "Precision" play will yield a 99.53% return (less than .01% less than perfect). But I see a difference in everyone's strategy differentiating between "any two cards" and a high card suited with a 10. Is this an "error" by Paymar? Does this mean Paymar's "Precision" play still yield a 99.53% return on 9/6 if these are "errors"?

E.G. Paymar puts holding multiple high cards ABOVE holding any single high card with a 10. He lists any Two Unsuited High cards as having an EV of .487. The next lowest EV in his chart is K-10,Q-10,J-10 listed at .477 (Pre-Draw Hands - JoB). Is Paymar's EV wrong?

Dancer and others (including the EV display for Video Poker.com) take a very different stance. E.g., Dancer lists suited JT above King-High or Ace-High.

I'm assuming this has to do with "penalty cards" as I glanced in a different post.

If someone would like to shed some light on this for newbie, it'd be appreciate!

Best of luck to all.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

Kasfeldt7 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:48 pm
Is this an "error" by Paymar? Does this mean Paymar's "Precision" play still yield a 99.53% return on 9/6 if these are "errors"?
Strategy charts are balancing acts between accuracy and simplicity. I don't have Paymar's book, but it sounds like he thought he could achieve simplicity at minimal loss of accuracy. You'd have to computationally analyze the full strategy to know if it's actually 99.53%. I doubt it's any worse than 99.50%.

But other resources are available now. Wizard of Odds has a 99.52% intermediate strategy, and a 99.54% optimal. Or you can generate strategy for any other pay table. Dancer has strategy cards and products for sale.