Cheating going on at the weekly contest?

Discuss the latest contests, contest strategies, and scores!
Forbin
Forum Rookie

Cheating going on at the weekly contest?

Post by Forbin »

I was looking at the high scores for the current weekly contest which is Dreamcard. The same user profile which is Duke80 is in second and third place. How did this happen and is this cheating? :?:

Come Back Kid
Video Poker Master

Post by Come Back Kid »

He got lucky!!! WTG Duke!!!

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Duke80 has been around a very long time. I don't recall seeing two top 5 scores for a player this far into a weekly contest before (or in two different contests at the same time), but it was bound to happen at some point. Nicely done (and yes, incredibly lucky).

Forbin
Forum Rookie

Post by Forbin »

I thought the way the system worked is say you got 50,000 and that got you third place. Later on in the day you get 55,000 which would erase and replace your previous score of 50,000 which is the way the system has rolled for me in the past.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

No, every session is it's own contest entry.

The only contests where your best score is the only one counted are the Tournament of Champions and the final round of the Seven Star Tourney.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

Hey Forbin. I've seen your picture up at the top of more than one contest recently. What animal is that a picture of?

You can often observe multiple scores in the Top 10 of the Daily Contest in the first 15 minutes after midnight Pacific time (3 am Eastern Time).

However, on each individual's end, you can generally only see your own top score listed. Years ago you could see more than one of your top scores but that was changed for some reason, so it is nothing new for multiple top finishes for the same individual. Maybe Webman could fix it so you could see more of your top scores again? Maybe 3 or 5?

A few days ago, March 15, I finished 38th and 67th in the Daily Contest and got two alerts for finishing in the top 100 even after I beat the lower of the two scores. The 2nd alert didn't win me any more than the first ( ;) ), but you can look that up for yourself if you are still a little doubtful. This occurs from time to time.

Lateshowrob
Forum Rookie

Post by Lateshowrob »

I'm sure there's no cheating going on but it hard to believe the scores people get sometimes. The current leader in the Dream Card contest got a dealt royal and AAAA kicker. in one 100 hand session. I've played all week and haven't had even one of those dealt.

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

The power of lots and lots and lots of repetition: If you play TDB, it looks like the odds of getting a dealt royal or dealt AWAK is 162,434 to 1 without a Dream Card and about 1307 to 1 in hands with a Dream Card. Putting those implied probabilities together yields odds of about 10,711 to 1 on any one deal. When we consider that we get 100 deals per game, it looks like there would be on average 105.6 games without a dealt jackpot for every one with a dealt jackpot. Of course that is not to say you would always get a jackpot after 106 or 107 games.

Now how about the odds of getting two or more jackpots in any one game? A huge but not astronomical set of odds of 23,319 to 1. Looking back at last week's game shows that 42,882 sessions were played. We don't know yet how many sessions have been played this week. But just like it is somewhat unusual for any single one of us to have had a single jackpot, it actually might be a little unusual if not a single one of us had two or more in a single game.

Of course none of this makes it any better for all of us who would like to win. I have no idea how many total games I've played in all the weekly contests, but personally I am still 0 for a lot!

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

Lateshowrob wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:39 pm
The current leader in the Dream Card contest got a dealt royal and AAAA kicker. in one 100 hand session.
Not only that, they got 28000+ in the other 98 hands, which likely included yet another big dealt one. I haven't come even close to the 28000 part, let alone the rest!

New2vp
Video Poker Master

Post by New2vp »

When I wrote the previous post, I was thinking that Marshainlv was still leading with 86,050. I did not check to see that her score was eclipsed a couple hours before I posted. The current leader (Black Sand at 108,695) most likely also had a 3rd dealt hand, something like 3333A. And I agree that this is a really high score, the highest we have seen in the 9 times that this relatively new game has been the Weekly Contest game. We now have had somewhere north of 400,000 sessions in the 9 weekly contests with this game, but this still might be a little higher than what we could have expected.

You may note that the original poster started this thread BEFORE Black Sand took over the lead; and, therefore, was obviously questioning a different point than Black Sand's score.

It is certainly NOT unusual for someone to get two 40,000-point jackpots in the same game. That has happened at least once in 6 of the 8 previous contests, with the winning game being from 87,655 to 94,360. And during those 8 contests there have actually been 7 players to record a score of over 80,000 without winning the contest, including a couple of those that "only" managed 4th place.

A couple of other oddities: Shortly after Forbin questioned how Duke80 could garner two top spots in the weekly contest, another player, manju, did the same thing. It is beyond my patience to try and calculate the odds of TWO players each having two spots in the Top 10 at the same time this late in the week!

And another funny thing: Forbin him(?)self (or herself) actually won this game in the Weekly Contest the last time it was played (12/29/2019). And until Black Sand's score of over 100,000, Forbin had the highest score in the previous 8 contests at 94,630. To be fair, again, Forbin was NOT questioning how likely it was to get multiple 40,000-point hands in the same contest. Rather the concern was how a player could have multiple spots in the Top 10