ADS, ADS AND MORE ADS.

Comments and suggestions about VideoPoker.com
Webman
Video Poker Master

Re: ADS, ADS AND MORE ADS.

Post by Webman »

Ads were never turned off... there has been no change since your last post of having no problems. My guess is a particular ad is causing this issue for you and it would be good to track it down. When you aren't receiving that ad, things sound like they are good, but when it comes up it is causing problems. Can you email a screenshot to forum@videopoker.com when you experience the problem so I can see what ads are on the screen?

chiefsquirrel
Forum Regular

Post by chiefsquirrel »

Ads were never turned off... there has been no change since your last post of having no problems. My guess is a particular ad is causing this issue for you and it would be good to track it down. When you aren't receiving that ad, things sound like they are good, but when it comes up it is causing problems. Can you email a screenshot to forum@videopoker.com when you experience the problem so I can see what ads are on the screen?Difficult to grab a screenshot since the loading/transfer url-s don't stay long enough to capture. But, I did receive an error just now waiting for the 7-star games to load:"setup timeuout error: setup took longer than 30 seconds to complete." This occurred in between selecting a game to play and on the next screen when the video begins - again as ads were being loaded.

chiefsquirrel
Forum Regular

Post by chiefsquirrel »

- ran FF in safe mode - ad slowness still persists.- emailed screenshots.There's quite a few hops with each of the ads. Some go through a google thing first and then through the ad provider. This is the only site I visit that has this issue.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Thanks for sending the screenshots. Just in case, I've blocked all ads from Ruconest, and 14 Lenovo ads that were slow to load (out of 87 total). You're right... it can be hard to tell which ad unit is causing the problem, especially when some fail to load.

If it happens more and more (like a memory leak) then the only solution would be to close your browser completely in between sessions if running low on memory or cpu, which is admittedly a pain. We'll continue to work to track this down. If particular ads do come up that appear problematic, please continue to send them my way.

chiefsquirrel
Forum Regular

Post by chiefsquirrel »

The issue still persists. I go back to a memory leak or scripting issue. I'm back at 3G+ being used. And, yes, the only way to fully release memory is to close the browser and drop the process. I've played daily since Feb-2017 and this issue never occurred until this week. Something has definitely changed on the site.Thanks for looking into this.

chiefsquirrel
Forum Regular

Post by chiefsquirrel »

changing ad providers won't help at all...for a 100-hand game...- 236 ads loaded - this is overkill and is the real cause of slowness- 45 trackers (I'm sensitive to this part)I realize that you're a for-profit business and you're trying to improve your paid vs free player ratio. But, you have to find some reasonable balance between your goal and losing good will.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

What version of Firefox are you running?

chiefsquirrel
Forum Regular

Post by chiefsquirrel »

Was running current 56.x when issue first arose. Reverted back to 55.x but it made no difference. The site was changed. I notice that the number of ads has been reduced to ~80 for 100 hands. That really doesn't make a difference. The same ads are being reloaded every time rather than being delivered from cache. That is causing the delays and I'm surprised that it's not giving your servers a lot of unneeded overhead as well.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Switching your ad network again. Let me know if there is any change.

chiefsquirrel
Forum Regular

Post by chiefsquirrel »

webman....it seems to have helped. THANKS...game play is much quicker even with the ads - both chrome & FF.