IE8 Closing

If you are having problems with a game on this Web site, post here.
BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

IE8 Closing

Post by BillyJoe »

Webman, lately, when I go to the site and select the contest, whether it be the monthly or the daily, my browser says it has to close because of an error. It recovers the tab, and I can go forward. It only happens when going to the contest. I can select Forum or regular VP games without a problem.

This is on Windows XP, running IE8. I do not see it on my PC with Windows 7 and IE9. I have tried clearing cache and cookies, and ran a scan with anti-virus. It still happens every time.  
Any thoughts?  

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

First, IE8 support is going to be going away before too long. So it's a good idea to move to another browser of your choice (IE9 and IE10 are fine, but will not run on Windows XP to my knowledge).BUT... I would like to figure out why your browser is crashing with that error. Is that all it says, "Because of an error" or is there an option to show more information?

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Please try again now and let me know if it still closes.

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

Sorry to say - yes. I tried clearing history, temps, cache and restarting browser. I can go straight to Forum or VP, but not contest.

Also, if I select contest WITHOUT logging in, I get no error. If I log in, it fails.

Yes, I am going to have to migrate this machine to Windows 7 (a big pain from XP) so I can upgrade IE beyond Version 8.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

At least it's crashing reliably, so maybe we can track it down. I will send you a PM with some ideas to test for the problem.

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

This might be of interest. An article on IE8 from the Detroit Free Press. And by the way I have the same issue periodically.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130626/B ... r-business

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Faygo, that article is about Windows 8 (the latest operating system). IE8 is an old version of their web browser Internet Explorer (currently in version 10). Sadly, 8 is the newest version of Internet Explorer that runs on Windows XP, so users on XP will have to find a new browser (Chrome or Firefox) or upgrade their operating system to get the latest IE 10.As for Billyjoe's problem above, we spent some time debugging it and have traced it to a problem with Facebook integration. Since the problem appears to be with Facebook's code on their server, I haven't been able to come up with a workaround yet.We'll continue to look at this but strongly encourage anyone on IE8 still to upgrade to a newer browser at this time.

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

Real techy over here. Heck, I thought 8 was 8. 

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Real techy over here. Heck, I thought 8 was 8.  No wonder you never get any straight flushes.

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

[QUOTE=faygo]Real techy over here. Heck, I thought 8 was 8. 

No wonder you never get any straight flushes.
[/QUOTE]

I did drive a Buick once that had a STRAIGHT 8 .