IE8 Closing

If you are having problems with a game on this Web site, post here.
BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Re: IE8 Closing

Post by BillyJoe »

OK - I seem to have stumbled in to a work-around. For all you IE8 users on Windows XP, if you add "Videopoker.com' to the list of sites under "Compatibility View Settings", the tab closing error does not occur.

Maybe I will now get more quads in the contest, too...

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

OK - I seem to have stumbled in to a work-around. For all you IE8 users on Windows XP, if you add "Videopoker.com' to the list of sites under "Compatibility View Settings", the tab closing error does not occur.

Maybe I will now get more quads in the contest, too...

Well, the new version of the Adobe Flash Player seemed to sabotage my work-around on IE8. It now closes even with the site entered under "Compatibility View Settings".

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

Well, the saga continues. Tried using FireFox as my default browser in order that I would not have to deal with IE8 shutting down everytime it saw a FaceBook icon.

On FireFox, I had an adware pop-up that I could not get rid of, so I went back to IE8 (running Windows XP, so I can't get a more recent version of IE).

I tried loading IE with all add-ons turned off, and it seems to have corrected the crashing.

I am not sure what I am missing with add-ons turned off in the browser, but for now, I am happy.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Sounds like one of the add-ons was causing it to crash. You could try turning them back on one at a time if you want to isolate it. If you do, it would be great to hear what it is in case others run into this. But either way, IE8 is going to be toast by the end of the year (we will no longer support it AT ALL) so I still suggest going with something else.Running Firefox without add-ons should get rid of that ad problem, then similarly you can turn them back on one at a time to find out what ridiculous toolbar is causing that for you. You don't want that junk on your system either way.

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

Sounds like one of the add-ons was causing it to crash. You could try turning them back on one at a time if you want to isolate it. If you do, it would be great to hear what it is in case others run into this.

But either way, IE8 is going to be toast by the end of the year (we will no longer support it AT ALL) so I still suggest going with something else.

Running Firefox without add-ons should get rid of that ad problem, then similarly you can turn them back on one at a time to find out what ridiculous toolbar is causing that for you. You don't want that junk on your system either way.

Yeah - what I need to do is get this PC from XP to Windows 7, then get a newer version of IE. I have looked at the upgrade instructions, and it looks like it will be time consuming. But I will get there.  

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Or get that PC from XP to the nearest dump. You've seen new PC prices lately right? 

faygo
Video Poker Master

Post by faygo »

Hey!  Some of us love our XP.

katipug

Post by katipug »

Hey! I just bought a brand new laptop from HP with Windows8 with all the app stuff ( which I hate ) Do you mean I won't be able to play VP by the end of the year? Not very tech savy, please explain. Thank you, Kati

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Kati, you will be just fine. Windows 8 is the latest operating system.

Windows XP (which was fantastic) came out more than 12 years ago, which is a long time in the world of technology. For that reason, microsoft decided not to support it any longer and newer internet Explorer versions are not compatible. However, for those who do have XP and want to keep it, other modern browsers are compatible still (for now) such as Firefox and Chrome.