Want to Move to Las Vegas?

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
billryan
Video Poker Master

Re: Want to Move to Las Vegas?

Post by billryan »

Yes, I was unaware of dividends for the first fifty years of my investing life. Thank Gawd you came along to educate me. The people I bought it from made a nice profit, but they put a lot of work into it. The original listing from their purchase is still up on Coldwell and you can see what they put into it.
They are retiring.
I paid $155,000 but am redoing one of the bathrooms, and upgrading the living quarters. I'll be about $168,000 all in. In my minds eye, its a $250,000 property once I fine tune it. Time will tell.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

There is a cashier at our grocery store who routinely says things that are just not accurate... anything from how they "heard the weather is going to be this weekend" to a recent event in the news that they wildly misinterpreted. I mean, I hardly talk to cashiers so it's a marvel how many times I've heard her utter things that are wrong.

The number of times I've gotten upset with her is zero.
The number of times I've made a sarcastic remark or criticized her is zero.
The number of times I've thought it was even worth correcting her is zero.

I wish more conversations here could be like that. I really don't understand how people get so worked up about online discussions.

It's disgraceful that in a topic about housing prices, people are still arguing about housing prices - when we haven't even gotten to the bottom of billryan's bags of bills.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

webman, are you comparing my financial experience with that of a cashier?

when i gave r/e info i used a 3rd party...truila. i would rely on their info over the experience of a single poster.

you have allowed posters, especially BR, to 'beat down' others who post VP info that does not comply with the math. why should that same poster, who states 'inaccurate' info, such as it has not been possible to make money in the vegas area r/e market, be treated any differently, when published statistics, do not support his claim?

he is not a r/e expert, he has no expertise in the financial markets and any assertions he makes are subject to authentication. he started the posts about his personal r/e decisions, no one asked for it and then he make statements as facts, that are easily disputable.

he could have avoided all of this by making his own personal r/e and investment decisions, and then keeping it to himself. he wanted attention, wanted to let everyone know what he was doing and how terrific it was.

what he seems oblivious to is that many others on this site have far greater assets than he appears to have accumulated.

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

I believe your information is accurate. The cashier's is not. So I wasn't referring to your level of knowledge, rather the apparent hostility in some of these topics lately. I don't think people would speak to one another this way face to face, even if they did have a disagreement over housing markets.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Where did I ever say it is impossible to make money on Las Vegas real estate? This is just more of your nonsense. What I have said, what I continue to say and will continue to say is that real estate in Vegas is a bad investment. People make money off bad investments all the time. That doesn't mean they aren't bad investments.
If Henderson is in the top ten cities for real estate appreciation and its average return was 4.1% for the last ten years, how can one argue, with a straight face, that it was a good place to invest your money? A $200,000 house became a $300,000 house while $200,000 in a tracking ETF became $700,000 plus. Both people made money. Only one made a good investment.
I don't believe I've ever told anyone what to do with their money outside of wasting it on bad video poker. I talk about what I do and what I've done. I don't offer advice nor do I write life manuals.
Do not tell lies or falsehoods about me, or call me a babykiller and we will be fine. Getting worked up into such a rage over something as meaningless speaks volumes.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

This is the chit chat section, right? Where people go to chit chat? I'm not sure but is someone suggesting we only talk about topics we are experts on?

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

billryan wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:15 am
Land ,housing or even homes can be a decent investment. Just not in Vegas.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

webman, thanks and i agree with much off your post.

in honor of your request for additional civility, i will no longer respond to any of his additional posts on this thread, no matter how 'inaccurate' or misleading in selecting certain time frames.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

If you would like to be civil, man up and apologize for calling me a baby killer.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

notes1 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:31 pm
billryan wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:15 am
Land ,housing or even homes can be a decent investment. Just not in Vegas.
Yes, this is correct. I will ask you again, is 4.1% percent a good return on your investment? If you think it's a good return, buy some. I don't, and didn't. Which one of us profited from his choice? Could I have done better? Don't know and don't care. Had housing gone up and stocks gone down, I might see a reason for your gloating but what I choose to invest in went up much more than any paper profit I'd have made buying a house. You are trying to denigrate me for being correct. I just don't get it.