how many bowling fans are there here?

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
jc1656
Forum Regular

how many bowling fans are there here?

Post by jc1656 »

I was just curious to find out how many bowling fans are on here? Do you watch the PBA? If so who is your favorite bowler?

jm002546

Post by jm002546 »

The horseshoe man.

jc1656
Forum Regular

Post by jc1656 »

I understand that because he is top five all-time.

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

Is that current or all time ABC/PBA?

jm002546

Post by jm002546 »

Current PBA all-time title holder-44 or so- Walter Ray Williams. Mid to late 40's and still kicking butt.  Was a horseshoe champion for many years. Is he still doing that, JC?

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

My favorite is retired now. 

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

JM; last they interviewed WRW Jr, he was still pitching and bowling at 48 yrs. young. He along with Mike Durbin are two I looked up to for strength and style. Dick Weber for all around greatness!

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

Dick Weber was not my all-time hero until I met him. It didn't take long to see what a fantastic person he was in addition to his great bowling skills. Unfortunately, he beat me every timed I bowled him (even though he was over 70) or I'd have something special to tell my grandkids.

EDC1977
Video Poker Master

Post by EDC1977 »

Ever match up against Gary Dickinson or John Handegaard? On a side note, ever get the chance to talk to the Kokomo kid Don Johnson before he passed away? Car salesman in southern part of LV from what I gathered.

shadowman
Video Poker Master

Post by shadowman »

I bowled against all 3 of them. Don Johnson is from MN like I am and I bowled against him a few times after he retired from the PBA. Gary Dickinson threw a 300 game against me on what I thought was the toughest pair in the house (I think I shot 160) during a regional tournament in AR. I did managed to beat him once or twice. I also lost to Handegaard a few times but did beat him during a tournament I won in Reno. The shot was brutal and I was playing around the 27 board. I had a nicely timed cross-over that helped immensely.

I've also beaten and been beaten (more often) by many others including Dale Eagle, Bob Glass (he owns me), Dave Soutar, Mike Durbin, Mark Roth, Pete Couture (for some reason I always bowled well against Pete), Steve Neff ( he tripped 3 four pins in the tenth frame to beat me in Beaverton, OR), etc, etc.

They used to have a Regular Tour - Senior Tour combined doubles event where after qualifying you teamed up and went head-head. I never made it that far but came close ... a solid 8-pin in the 9th frame of the last qualifying game was the difference ... uh, and maybe a few spares I missed in the other games. During qualifying I bowled with Tommy Delutz, Jr., who just happens to be leading the current PBA tourament after the first round.

I had a great time for the two years I was able to compete. I guess that was kind of obvious ...