mgm lion's share

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
Vman96
Video Poker Master

Re: mgm lion's share

Post by Vman96 »

Yes, VMan, to my knowledge, that lone survivor is still there. Unlike the one at MGM, though, the progressive is 'frozen', and does not increase with continued play. The MGM machine continued to feed the progressive when played.

I love the way the machine 'rounded up' the pennies in the payout. Take a look at the 0240 0302. Very nice of them.. Here is the MGM story...

Good to know, I don't care that it's "frozen". It's because they dumped a progressive into that unit right? Most Red White Blue machines have a jackpot frequency of 1 in 262,144. If that's the case that means the jackpot alone is worth $1.87 per $3 spin. Overall the machine has to be +EV. At least worth my tightass gambling $30 over it anyway...

Alexis 1205
Forum Newbie

Post by Alexis 1205 »

It only took 20 years. How do they justify that

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

[QUOTE=billyjoe]

Yes, VMan, to my knowledge, that lone survivor is still there. Unlike the one at MGM, though, the progressive is 'frozen', and does not increase with continued play. The MGM machine continued to feed the progressive when played.

I love the way the machine 'rounded up' the pennies in the payout. Take a look at the 0240 0302. Very nice of them.. Here is the MGM story...

Good to know, I don't care that it's "frozen". It's because they dumped a progressive into that unit right? Most Red White Blue machines have a jackpot frequency of 1 in 262,144. If that's the case that means the jackpot alone is worth $1.87 per $3 spin. Overall the machine has to be +EV. At least worth my tightass gambling $30 over it anyway... [/QUOTE]
That's correct. I was told that, similar to the MGM machine, this Caesars' machine is the one remaining of what used to be a large bank of Red, White and Blue slots tied to a progressive jackpot. They need to pay that jackpot before that machine can be removed.

As an interesting side, that machine sits directly under The Qua Spa, which had a water leak. That machine, and the one sitting next to it, were flooded. Caesars took the other machine out, and replaced it, but they had to repair that specific progressive machine. They had quite a time finding all the parts that they needed, but got it repaired. I am sure that Caesars' techs will be happy when someone hits the jackpot, and they can cart the fossil away.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

It only took 20 years. How do they justify that

Mathematics?

From people studying the game, the Lion's Share jackpot was most likely a 1 in 256^3 = 1 in 16,777,216 occurrence. If this was the case, then there was about a 3% chance given the progression meter increase from the base payout to the current payout when it was hit that the machine would have never hit the jackpot at max bet until now.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

[QUOTE=Alexis 1205] It only took 20 years. How do they justify that

Mathematics?

From people studying the game, the Lion's Share jackpot was most likely a 1 in 256^3 = 1 in 16,777,216 occurrence. If this was the case, then there was about a 3% chance given the progression meter increase from the base payout to the current payout when it was hit that the machine would have never hit the jackpot at max bet until now.[/QUOTE]

As an interesting side, that machine sits directly under The Qua Spa, which had a water leak. That machine, and the one sitting next to it, were flooded. Caesars took the other machine out, and replaced it, but they had to repair that specific progressive machine. They had quite a time finding all the parts that they needed, but got it repaired. I am sure that Caesars' techs will be happy when someone hits the jackpot, and they can cart the fossil away.

I bet!!! It sure looks old! Does it even do Ticket In/Ticket Out?

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

[QUOTE=Vman96] [QUOTE=Alexis 1205] It only took 20 years. How do they justify that

Mathematics?

From people studying the game, the Lion's Share jackpot was most likely a 1 in 256^3 = 1 in 16,777,216 occurrence. If this was the case, then there was about a 3% chance given the progression meter increase from the base payout to the current payout when it was hit that the machine would have never hit the jackpot at max bet until now.[/QUOTE]

I bet!!! It sure looks old! Does it even do Ticket In/Ticket Out?[/QUOTE]
Yes - it is TITO. The non-jackpot payouts, as you can imagine, are pretty poor for a $3 max bet, though.

BillyJoe
Video Poker Master

Post by BillyJoe »

Now this is cool...

Jackpot winners to receive "Lion's Share" machine

Walter and Linda Misco won a $2.4 million jackpot from the legendary "Lion's Share" slot machine at MGM Grand in August and wanted to keep the machine. MGM worked with regulators and removed the machine's gaming technology, crossing several legal hurdles to send the machine to the couple's vacation home in Florida; they can't keep it at their New Hampshire home, as the machine is not old enough to be in a private collection, by state law. The "Lion's Share" was the oldest slot machine at the MGM Grand, custom-made for its opening, and its legend grew over more than two decades as it held onto its jackpot. Las Vegas Sun (9/30)

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Pretty cool story. I wonder if it'll be another 20 years before it hits again?