Uber and lyft rideshares now serving Las Vegas

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
alpax
Video Poker Master

Uber and lyft rideshares now serving Las Vegas

Post by alpax »

This news was announced earlier this week.

The popular rideshare service has launched in Vegas. If you use your smartphone in Vegas, with a press of a button you could summon a ride to get around instead of paying those high taxi fares.

Uber Press Release on Las Vegas

lyft Press Release on Las Vegas

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Can they alsoservethe airport? In Chicago, at this time Uber can't work in the airports. Good news otherwise though.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I did a quick search on the web and found multiple articles regarding the McCarran Aiport planning to allow lyft/Uber services at a dedicated terminal.

Review Journal link

It is not allowed for the Los Angeles International Aiport (LAX), the taxi union in the county will fight tooth and nail for it as well as banning it period (still ongoing battle) everywhere else. The other satellite airports (non-international and limited schedule departures) have allowed it thus far.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

The taxi drivers in Chicago are not unionized but medallions are required to be bought for each cab and those are not cheap. So if a cabbie spends upwards of 50k for a medallion they're already that much in the whole. I've used gypsy cabs before but not too often.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

My taxi from LAS to Ti costs about $25. How much would an Uber cost?

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

Generally Uber and lyft cost lower than the traditional taxi cab. One mutual benefit for the driver and the passengers using the service is the ability to be able to socialize and meet new people.

I looked up the taxi fares

Uber / lyft

$2.40 - Base Price
$1.55 - Rider Safety Fee (Insurance), this fee was added to make rideshare service legal in most areas.
$0.30 - Each Minute
$1.85 - Each Mile
??? - Airport Pick Up Fee (I am not sure if the McCarran Airport has started to allow rideshare services. They intend to allow it)

EDIT: lyft for $2.45 Airport Pick Up and Drop Off Fee

Nevada Taxi Cab Authority Fares

$3.45 - Base Price, includes rider safety from the taxi company and the first 1/4 mile
$0.54 - Each Minute
$2.68 - Each Mile
$2.00 - Airport Pickup

royal flush
Video Poker Master

Post by royal flush »

uber and lyft not big saving in las vegas short trips under 2 miles basicly a push as 1.55 fee makes kills saving. trips of 10 miles saving in la 1.00 to walk in about 20c per minute and 1.00 per mile

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

uber and lyft not big saving in las vegas short trips under 2 miles basicly a push as 1.55 fee makes kills saving. trips of 10 miles saving in la 1.00 to walk in about 20c per minute and 1.00 per mile

Before using a taxi in Vegas, I would find if a shuttle is an option and then if the Monorail is an optin.

Uber and lyft prices vary by city, but both have stated that the rates in Vegas are the highest amongst the cities they serve.

These days Vegas strip properties are so well connected that it is possible to walk around. The taxis/rideshare are for those that want to go from the Strip to the locals places.

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

It became official this week.

lyft is officially permitted at McCarran International Airport. From a competitive standpoint for the time being, lyft now has the upper edge on Uber in Las Vegas. There will be 2 designated areas for pickups and dropoffs at the airport.

CNET News Article

lyft blog on McCarran

An airport service fee of $2.45 will apply to both pickups and drop-offs and will be incorporated into the customer's bill. This is 45 cents more than the conventional taxi cab.