PPP is Vegas bound!

Discuss all things Las Vegas. Hotels, restaurants, good deals, airfares, cabbies, conventions, shows, etc.
Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Re: PPP is Vegas bound!

Post by Tedlark »

Come on OMT, hit a few good ones.

Vman96
Video Poker Master

Post by Vman96 »

Hope it turns around for both of you!

I like the idea that there are "full pay" bartops at plaza, but doesn't shock me that the IPA you got from there sucked, ppp. I wouldn't doubt the taps were dirty/or the bottle too old. Do you remember the exact beer name?

If you can make it down to M Resort, you should. They have 96 beers on tap and should have 9/6 DDB at the $2 level. Or Airport Deuces as low as quarters. Also Pub 365 at Tuscany has a nice selection too with 9/7/5 DB.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Post by pokerpokerpoker »

I didn't ask the name of the IPA, we were not sitting at the bar. $2 DDB is completely out of the question. I don't know dueces strategy at all.

Go get 'em OMT!

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Day 2 part 2.

Used $107 of our resort credit at the Mirage buffet. It was considered "weekend" dinner at a slightly elevated price. I was quite pleased with it. Almost everything I tried was nice and fresh. Especially good was the ribs and sushi. The main appeal to me of a buffet is crab legs, but these weren't the greatest - already split and really small. I've heard that this was a bad year for crab legs though.

I raided $400 from the third envelope and CP and I walked/trammed to the Cosmo. Sat down at a bar for some quarter DDB and fancy libations. The barkeep informed me the first is comped, and the rest will be earned with tickets. She didn't know the exact rate at which tickets would come out.

I ordered an old fashioned. I always wanted to try one. She measured this, spooned that, shook it all up, then pierced some decorations with a toothpick. Kinda of nice to see a cocktail made with care - instead of sloshing some booze in a cup with ice. I didn't much care for it though, and once the next ticket came out I ordered something else. I asked for something fruity and rummy. She delivered her version of a mai tai. It was perfect. It reminded me of the rum punch my wife and I drink in Jamaica. My first $100 lasted quite a while, hitting one quad and earning several more drink tickets. Second $100, not so much, no quads and one ticket. Third $100 I switched to BDLX, and of course promptly hit quad aces. Had a few more drinks, and left with extra tickets, cashing out $100. I was feeling a real nice buzz.

Bottom line about the ticket system: unless you are a hardcore booze bag, if you are honestly playing, your glass will not be empty.

Took that $100 and dabbled around with some slots and nickel ULTX, and lost it. One more $100 in 5play UlTX, got no quads and lost it too.

Walked back to the Mirage and played $50 of my $100 in FP on a double triple diamond $2 slot. Had a few nice hits and cashed out $108 - a rare win. The last envelope now has $800 in it. Gonna try the boner deluxe at the Aria for my last stand.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Day 3

CP and I rolled out about 11am and hit McDonald's for breakfast.

Then we started down the strip towards Aria. Ducked into Cromwell for a little 9/7 TDB. I studied 9/6 before the trip, but not 9/7. I'm sure I botched many hands. Hit one quad and lost $200 pretty quickly. Drank a Stone IPA.

Next stop was PHO for the 5 Star which I hit a royal on last year. $100 on quarter DDB Dream Card was gone in a couple minutes with no quads. Tried $100 in the QQ. Hit one QQ, then busted fairly quickly.

Finally arrived at Aria for the DSTP BDLX. Because of the poor results from the morning and because I had already dipped into the days envelope the night before I only had $400 left. It was do or die. I really didn't want to hit an ATM.

The machines were taken in row 802, but a seat opened up and I got down to bidness. Decided to play one handed quarters. First $100 lasted quite a while with lots of multiplied winners, but no quads, and eventually busted. Same results with the second $100. Third $100 finally started hitting some quads. Played and played and played totalling about 6 quads. Eventually it grinded down to zero. Put my last $100 in and switched to 3play for dimes. Shortly thereafter boom, quad aces with an 8X for $320. Cashed out at $401 after a 3 hour session with over $5k coin in. Trip was still alive. Had 4 vodka cranberries.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Day 3, part 2

Dad and CP went to Denny's for dinner while I went to Bachannal. No line and was seated right away. My main interest, crab legs, were pretty good. Like the Mirage, these were split. I wisj they wouldn't do that. All the meat comes out in little bits. Otherwise, the food slipped a notch from last year. The brisket was tough and fatty. The sushi was slightly fishy and the sliders had mustard on them. Mustard makes me gag. If I had paid the $60, I would have been disappointed. After Reward Credits, my bill was only $15.

While having coffee, I checked the emails on my phone and Cosmo was offering $50 in FP. Great, the place was next door. Took the $50 to a nickel ULTX and soon hit aces with a 10X for $400! Things were looking up. Cashed in my points for $5 FP and used it in a dollar slot and got nothing.

Walked down to Cromwell to meet CP and had another go at the FP TDB. $100 in and hit a quad, then was dealt SQ with kicker for $500! Played quite a while and cashed out $500 for a $400 win. Drank a Heinikein (sp) and had a vodka cran - which was red, but didn't taste like vodka or cranberry. I left it.

CP and I walked to Aria for another go at row 802. First $100, playing one handed BDLX, went up in smoke. Second $100 too. Third $100 got me some play with several quads and cashed in at $100 for an overall $200 loss over about 2 hhours. Cashed my MLiFE points for $10 FP and got nothing in a $1 slot.

Getting late we walked back to Mirage. While crossing the gardens at CP a woman emerged from the shadows asking if we were looking for some brown sugar. We declined.

Back at Mirage, I loaded the last $50 of my offer FP into a $2 slot. Only had a few small hits totalling $16.

Tommorrow we leave and gambling is done. All in all a good day. Came out a few hundred ahead after a disastrous start.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Great report PPP. It sounds as if you, CP, and dad had a fun trip and managed to squeek out a tiny profit to boot. All in all, a job well done. Congrats.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

Tiny profit? No, lost badly.

We did have a good time though.

pokerpokerpoker
VP Veteran

alpax
Video Poker Master

Post by alpax »

I've enjoyed your trip report PPP and thanks for taking time during the trip to share!

Those quads saved you from utter disaster, you had the guts to raise the variance/volatility even higher at the end and that move paid off although it did not overcome your losses. Most people would have done the opposite, start with DDB and go to Bonus Poker if it does not go well at the start.

Much appreciated for the scoop on the Mirage. I got a good amount of Loyalty Points I collected playing myVegas, and I need to find ways to consume them. Not only that the rewards lost some luster, but is harder now since the rewards have degraded with stipulations added such as good for Monday thru Thursday or must stay for 3 days and such. I do not recommend the Feast at Luxor buffet on the MGM properties, but Bellagio and Aria are good ones (forgot what they call those).

The crab legs in Vegas buffets have more sodium than usual so that it can be preserved a little longer to get to Vegas, so I do not enjoy it as much anymore. More and more places now split them since the places that do not create a mess on the table, I think it was by popular request. The Studio B and Bellagio buffet splits them, but still good. The Bistro Buffet at the Palms at least pierces the shell so that you can physically snap it off.

I have yet to try Wicked Spoon at the Cosmo or sign up for an Identity card. If you get a bounceback offer from them for playing the games you've played, it would be nice to share. I heard they rate Jacks or Better with a perfect play theoretical loss, but not sure with the other games.