AC Restaurants Update

Discussion about gambling in Atlantic City
tech58
Video Poker Master

Re: AC Restaurants Update

Post by tech58 »

DrKen wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:42 pm
For those who wonder if there is such a thing as herd immunity, let’s talk about a case where herd immunity was lost and a epidemic then occurred. This was polio and led to the first vaccine b6 Jonas Salk. Polio existed probably nearly forever, drawings from 1400 bc show people with leg deformities similar to polio. But it was not a large problem until the late 1900’s when it became common in developed countries with improved hygiene and sanitation. In 1905 it was discovered to be communicable. Finally, the vaccine was developed and it is nearly eradicated. Scientists believe that the improved hygiene caused the epidemic because that reduced the exposure we had to the virus when we were infants when our mothers breast milk gave us antibodies and helped our immune system fight it off and we got constant boosters thru exposure. Thus since the vast majority were “vaccinated” at a early age it was just a occasional case. Increased hygiene led to lack of exposure to the virus, then lack of immunity and the polio epidemic. Thanks to Dr. Salk and his vaccine the epidemic was ended. This is an excellent example of how herd immunity works. You can easily check my facts on this on Wiki
Thanks DrKen for hanging in there thru the hi-jack attempt by our trolls.
Your posts are very enlightening. Have a question about virus load i think you called it.
If someone encounters a limited # of viruses can it not be enough to cause a major problem?
Does the immune system take care of the few,if capable, and then antibodies are created in that person that protects them?

DrKen
Forum Regular

Post by DrKen »

Think of virus load a simply the number of viruses in given area. If the load is very light you may not even get a infection. A light load may give you the infection and as it replicates the immune system reacts, kills it with antibodies and you have immunity. A heavy load can replicate faster than the body can sufficiently respond and you get very sick and maybe die. Corona does seem to be dose related. This is the reason you are supposed to limit contact to 10 minutes. The lighter load needed the more contagious the virus is. Also, antibodies can disappear over time. But the T-cell that makes it is still in the blood marrow so you can quickly produce the needed antibodies upon subsequent exposure.

tech58
Video Poker Master

Post by tech58 »

Thank you for a very clear answer.

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

I came here for the latest on AC - Who hijacked the post?

Webman
Video Poker Master

Post by Webman »

Indeed. Let's get this one back on track please. General coronavirus discussion can happen in Anything and Everything.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Back to AC restaurants. McCormick at Harrah’s has discontinued weekend Happy Hour. It was a nice cheap meal. Covid casualty? RIP. After this long a shutdown, I’m sure that the last thing they want is to continue serving low margin grub. But it’s only 25% capacity at the bar, so they could indulge us in dribs and drabs.

jetermacaw
VP Veteran

Post by jetermacaw »

I ate at M & S the last two weeks, great both times. Limited menu but still better than Diamond Club which is currently serving terrible food. Sad.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

At least the play worked out. You get what you pay for, it seems. Another reason to be glad I’m not Diamond. I hope that someone has an enticing deal tomorrow, but I’m not holding my breath. Scene has dried up.

jetermacaw
VP Veteran

Post by jetermacaw »

Diamond was decent pre COVID, but since the re launch food is basically school cafeteria quality. Sad. Amphora at Borgata hasn’t skipped a beat, always great food and service.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Borgata knows that they must maintain their high end niche and market share, hell or high water. I've heard a few complaints about Diamond lounges recently.