MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by olds442jetaway »

I’ve done great with BGS over tge years. Splits spinoffs super high dividends. I think mine is free now. Only have 100-200 shares

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

FAA wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:06 am
BGS is B&G Foods, -24.5% YOY. You're really in a pickle!
I've owned CPB Campbell Soup since last year. If you expect a slow economy which I do, food manufacturers should not be very ... jarring. Consumers will prioritize essential items, regardless of inflation rate.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yep. Gotta have my bread and butter chips and dill pickles. I like progresso soups, but the sodium is a bummer

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I think I am going to add 2BGS soon. The dividend is over 8% they may cut it but I haven’t read anything about it yet I don’t think the ex dividend date has arrived yet but it will soon. Like a lot of companies they are having some inflation and supply chain issues. I am also waiting and watching for Prudential PRU To dip into the mid to high 90s. Unless some disastrous news comes out on it before I buy it that is a definite buy for me at those levels it is stubbornly cling to 100 at the moment

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I somehow had a green day, recouping 10% of yesterday's loss. They beat up DJIA and SP, leaving Nasdaq to lick its wounds. I have mostly avoided the retail apocalypse. Home Depot -$30 each, but luckily I restricted firm from buying more! Like every other advisor, they love the dollar cost average smokescreen method. In enough trouble without looking for more. I'm not sure that it will break even for me in three years.
Campbell is fittingly a dog company financially; product frankly better suited to canines. They can't even whip up a decent dead cat bounce. Progresso's General Mills was a better buy, Ding. Olds, Pru is at $99. But hold out for $98. Today's sale is tomorrow's bargain. Caesars was +1.4%, but slipping after hours. What were those wacky gamblers thinking?

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

On my way to Bizarro

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

Another retail disaster. ROST Ross Stores disappointed on both earnings and outlook. After-hours trading pushed it down to a nearly 50% loss from a year ago.

I'm not sure any of these stocks are actually cheap. I'm especially suspicious of AMZN and WMT. Both companies expanded market share and investors rewarded them with historically high multiples.

If they lose market share, they'll lose the premium valuations.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I have to check more of the early morning news on Monday, but for now, I think I will wait for a 5 percent upside tick before I buy and keep my shorting options open with sqqq and DOG. Especially with the Nasdaq, down 29 percent from the highs, it may be difficult to stop the snowball rolling downhill. I still want to get PRU, maybe BGS, and add to my AWF which I have owned almost since its inception mainly for the dividends and year end capital gains. At these price levels, the AWF dividend is just under 8 percent. Have owned it since 1997 or so and if I remember, I paid about where it is trading now.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I think I will wait for a 5 percent upside tick before I buy.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's the whole idea. Those buying into a plunging late Q1 2022 market like me thought that they were getting bargains after the Jan/Feb selloff whirlwind. But that was the canary in the coal mine.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

Keep the ideas coming. At the worst levels Friday, the S&P was into official bear market territory (20% down from the high), but I'm still failing to identify widespread value. The popular US stocks still look expensive.

I've been looking overseas but did you notice the decoupling? Last couple of weeks, VEA is +3% while SPY is -3%. The panic is concentrating here in the States.

No DOG for me. It's less crazy than SQQQ, but I don't see the value proposition of anything on the short side.

AWF is a very risky junk-bond fund with an international component. During March 2020, it declined worse than the S&P 500. I don't like the 1% expense ratio, but I see it's a closed-end fund with a big discount to NAV, so you could benefit if the discount narrows.

I'm still holding mostly Treasuries rather than corporates. Ideally I would like outright terror before I take a big position in junk. I see a couple of junk ETFs with 0.15% expense ratios. Most fund managers are monkeys pushing buttons, so I don't see any reason to pay big fees.

Have you ever bought individual corporates? For example if you think Prudential is a reliable company, maybe it would make sense to purchase their debt. Unfortunately, bonds don't trade commission-free the way stocks do. I think usually the broker bundles a commission into the price.