MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
dinghy
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by dinghy »

FAA wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:08 pm
McDonalds -4.4%, Costco -12.5%, Pepsi -6.2%, Coca Cola -7%. I'll go out on a limb and say you own three. Not even my solar and wind energy won.
Have to admit I don't own any of the above. Not even within an ETF. Will probably start buying VDC Consumer Staples ETF if it falls a few more %.

My worst holding today was OSTK Overstock dot com, -12%. It's classified as consumer cyclical.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

My worst holding today was OSTK Overstock dot com, -12%. It's classified as consumer cyclical.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't own any of them either. I did own some Pepsi until I "liquidated" my initial account. Overstock's six month -75% graph is terrifying. I doubt that you experienced that severe a loss. OSTK -6.5% today.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Worst Target loss since 1987. I never owned it. A few days ago our Microwave less than 3 years old blew up. Trip to Target was a disaster. Store dirty, the Microwave isle had almost all display models and no prices on anything. Awful. Best Buy way overpriced. My local Walmart neat and clean and had exactly what I wanted and very reasonable. Should have gone there first. Shelves were almost bare in the 4 other places we went to. I would have gone to Walmart first but the Mrs………well you know the story.
As most, even with my quick hit today on Sqqq, I got destroyed. If I wasn’t 80 percent cash already as of several months ago, I would be looking for something high up and not for the view. Just kidding of course, but so many have done that in 1929 abd even other crashes. I never had a financial advisor, but I read, watch, and study a lot. I was always taught…. You make your own bed and then you sleep in it.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:44 pm
If I wasn’t 80 percent cash already as of several months ago, I would be looking for something high up and not for the view. Just kidding of course,
I would say you're in the catbird seat at 80% cash.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

Replying to FAA, I think Overstock is particularly volatile because it has a crypto component through its tZero subsidiary. I'm now getting back into it after selling too early the first time.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Looking up my biggest destruction today holdings now. Be right back. BGS, DIS, TEL. Percentage wise. Might as well throw TSLA in there, but I only have 2 shares just to say I have it. Still big mistake. Down over 30 percent on it. I wanted to dump Dis months ago, but the girls at home asked me to please keep it. 😬

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

My "big" winner today was ATUS Altice, a cable TV company, +3%.

My big regret is INT World Fuel Services, +7% today. Wanted to buy it last week, but didn't.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

Most popular ETFs by trading volume:

Topping the list are SQQQ and its opposite. However ranked by AUM assets under management, both TQQQ and SQQQ are outside the top 100. This means people trade in and out of them like crazy, but don't hold.

High volume is a good thing if you want to trade outside normal hours because the bid-ask spread will probably only be a few pennies at most.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

dinghy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:13 pm
Will probably start buying VDC Consumer Staples ETF if it falls a few more %.
Scratch that. Here's VDC against VCR Consumer Discretionary:

I've been watching VDC since 2020 because it looked unloved, but VCR is where the panic is now. I'm not convinced either one is near a bottom.

Very similar situation for value (VTV) vs growth (VUG):

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

My biggest destruction today holdings BGS, DIS, TEL.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
BGS is B&G Foods, -24.5% YOY. You're really in a pickle! On a more somber note, I also own TEL. They can't slam us much longer. P/E is already 16. Talk about a disconnect.