MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
wildman49
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by wildman49 »

It's not the amount Wednesday it's what is said going forward. My guess is more hikes till Feb-March and the market not in the mood for this. I say we sell off into the new year from here unless Fed pivot (don't see it) or a major market melt down (could happen). Money flowing out of market to bond funds/CDs less risk.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

wildman49 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:26 pm
It's not the amount Wednesday it's what is said going forward. My guess is more hikes till Feb-March and the market not in the mood for this.
Stocks are down this year partly because the 1-year Treasury yield is up from 0.4 to 4.07%. For stocks to continue down on rate hike concerns, the yield must continue up -- which I find hard to believe.

Stocks could find other reasons to continue down. Recessionary economic data. Dollar wrecking ball. Bond market dislocation. World War 3.

I feel very blah about US stocks. Maybe they go down, maybe not. I'd rather focus on stuff I think can go up (i.e., gold miners, Treasuries, internationals, and commodity stocks when they dip).

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

For now, I think .75 is priced in. I can’t understand Ct banks and credit unions holding out on .2–.5 % one year CDs. Just locked up a couple more at 4 % thru Fidelity. It is really starting to feel like Jimmy Carter days again. Great if you don’t want to buy anything and just bank money, but one still can’t beat inflation doing that. Back in the Carter days, a few of us would bank hop on our lunch hour chasing yields and the penalty for breaking a CD was very small. I can remember closing out one a month old at 16.5 percent and getting one across the street at another bank for 18.25 percent. That’s the highest rate I ever got. Money was tight then, because we had only been the work force a few years and had young families, but we scraped and saved what we could to get those high yield ones. Most of us had second jobs too and or small businesses. I had both. Not much sleep back then that is for sure.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

-1%, -1.1%, -1%. I was -0.7% today. We always rally after a hike, so I am optimistic about recouping tomorrow. -12.3% Ford wreck followed -21% FedEx flame out. Own neither, but the contagion is total.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

If we do repeat the 2008 crash, I'm going to run out of settled cash to buy stuff. I hate to sell my 4% Treasuries only to sit in 2% money markets. But that gap should diminish after tomorrow's hike.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

dinghy wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:29 pm
If we do repeat the 2008 crash, I'm going to run out of settled cash to buy stuff. I hate to sell my 4% Treasuries only to sit in 2% money markets. But that gap should diminish after tomorrow's hike.
Stop buying and get short told you SQQQ triple top breakout you blow it off. Market going much lower.
SQQQ close at high.

FED going to raise rates till CPI is below FED funds rate.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

Powell don't care about stock market, but he will get the message when we crash and they have to bailout all the pension funds. He will keep raising till the CPI falls below FED funds rate and that's 6 to 12 months out.
SQQQ up 1.2% after hours tomorrow might be very ugly.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

wildman49 wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:59 pm
Stop buying and get short told you SQQQ triple top breakout you blow it off. Market going much lower.
SQQQ close at high.
Thanks for the tip, but I think SQQQ is a terrible idea. I think I've mentioned my reasons already, so I won't repeat unless somebody asks.

Fwiw, here's what I bought today. All of these were add-ons to existing positions:

FLAX, INTC, JOE, T, TWOU, VEA, VTNR, VZ, WBD.

For tomorrow, VXUS closed only a few cents above my buy target. I would like to get really big into it if the price continues down. The fund holds 7800 stocks, so it's a one-stop shop for everything non-US.

wildman49
Video Poker Master

Post by wildman49 »

Bear traps galore.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

wildman49 wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:01 pm
Bear traps galore.
I thought bear traps were bullish.

I bought more stuff today, but for context, I have low holdings of general stocks. My big allocations are Treasuries and gold miners. Everything else is underrepresented.

Today was brutal for VGLT, and I bulked up in the 64s.

Today's stock buys: ATUS, FLAX, FLKR, INTC, JOE, MAC, MJ, OSTK, PARA, SWK, VXUS.