MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
dinghy
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by dinghy »

NVDA -7% after an earnings warning, on a day when QQQ is +1%.

2Q revenue now indicated down to 6.7b, previously estimated at 8.1.

1.32b write-off for inventory and stuff.

Market thinks this is company-specific. Let's see.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Markets: +0.1%, -0.1%, -0.1%. I was -0.16% today. Half of my losses were semiconductors. N will be rolling out new products soon. With everybody and his mother buying used heavily discounted cards, they better.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

The QQQ stocks don't tempt me, other than my probative INTC position.

The multiples seem very optimistic. On Twitter I saw NVDA estimated at 52x earnings and 16x sales. And some of the companies appear creative with their accounting. They don't GAAP, and they lob write-off grenades such as today's 1+ billion from NVDA.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I have to ask FAA. Are they fiduciaries, or do they get commissions on trades? I wish I could see the forest for the trees why they bought that item.
I gained .24 percent today and that is with sqqq still in there.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I don’t pay commissions. The buying/selling is not exactly a whirlwind. I shot myself in the foot by requesting a 25% sell off five weeks ago, before things spiked for the better. NVDA understandably the most active S&P yesterday. I specified high risk tolerance, but I really got killed in June.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

CPI tomorrow Wednesday at 08:30 EDT as usual.

Disaster of the day was VTNR Vertex Energy, an oil refiner. The company came up dry on its hedging and reported sour results.

I had been waiting to re-enter below 10, but it fell so hard this morning, I didn't get my first purchase in until 8.60. Kept buying all the way down to 7.20. It finished at 7.80, -44% for the sess.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Markets: -0.2%, -0.4%, -1.2%. I was -0.70% today. One stock was -15%. It will rebound by year end, but a very painful reckoning now. My disaster was only a third of the VTNR -44.2% drop. It sure was a nice run while it lasted.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

CPI comes in a little low and stocks surge higher.

I question such violent reactions to unreliable and volatile government data, and therefore I tend to take the opposite side.

I'll be looking for sell opportunities today. Already just sold a little PBR Petrobras pre-open.

Will trim gold miners if they have a big day. I don't necessarily agree with the consensus that lower inflation is good for gold.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Welcome to FAAmerica!
Markets: +1.6%, +2.1%, +2.9%. I was +1.22% today. My semis +5.9% and +5.2%. The chips were down. Disney +4% and +5.3% after hours, so Olds is also dancing on the ceiling.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

You can't take the gold miners anywhere.

I think they may have been extra-volatile today because gold is bumping up against $1800 rnr (round number resistance).

I'm braced for impact as PAAS is due to report earnings tonight. The company is usually late with the release, and it always misses. :ouch: