MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by olds442jetaway »

No corporates that I remember. Preferred stock yes though. I probably owned corporate bonds in various funds. I don’t worry too much about AWF because of its fairly narrow ups and downs since 1993. Its not a big percent of my holdings. I also like Reits, but staying away for now except for a couple I have had forever. No long term shorting for me. Only short term if I sense a straight down movement with bear market rally's. There are almost too many world unknowns now to do anything but guess. Even Warren Buffet is disgusted. Now we gave a brand new one Monkeypox and North Korea another insane wild card that is ramping up nuke testing and research. And with Putin, you might as well roll dice as guess what he will do next. One more world hunger and starvation a real possibility.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:08 am
I also like Reits, but staying away for now except for a couple I have had forever.
Reits confuse me, and taxes can be difficult because some of them generate K1s. I think the last one I owned was MAC Macerich, a shopping mall operator. I sold out in the mid-teens, then it ran up above 20 because of a short squeeze. It's now down near 11, so maybe I should look again.
No long term shorting for me. Only short term if I sense a straight down movement with bear market rally's.
I guess I react more than I anticipate. If I see a big move that looks excessive, I'll bet against the trend.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I see that a March Putin assassination attempt failed. Just no luck. Olds, did you ever buy $98 Pru?

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

I pared my PARA.

Chart looks like an overreaction to the Warren Buffett purchase. I sold a little above 33.50.

Buffett could decide to sell and then the stock would be back to the 20s.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

His Apple purchase has gotten a lot of publicity also. It's his biggest position. I'm -$20/share on it since March. But it's the least of my problems.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Retail Apocalypse resumes tomorrow. Best Buy (Stress Buy), AutoZone (AutoMoan) and Toll Brothers (For Whom the Bell Tolls) report.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

FAA wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:20 pm
His Apple purchase has gotten a lot of publicity also. It's his biggest position.
I don't understand how everything fits together there. Berkshire owns many companies outright, but also holds an investment portfolio of 46 stocks. Biggest holding by far is AAPL at 40%, which is about 5% of total AAPL stock.

Next biggest positions are BAC Bank of America, AXP AmEx, and KO Coca-Cola.

Buffett usually avoided tech stocks, but bought AAPL because he considers it a consumer products company with a moat (i.e., a competitive advantage).

To my inferior eye, AAPL looks expensive. PE in the 20s, and low growth. I'm suspicious of iconic companies such as AAPL, WMT and AMZN because I feel like they have high expectations built in to their stock prices.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Hell of a moat, too. Apple seems preferable to Amazon and Walmart nowadays. Like Microsoft, the P/E is high, but you grin and bear it.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I hate to say it, but I placed a GTC order for sqqq just now. Roughly 4 points below where it is now. I’m afraid the big boys will dump todays profits tomorrow. Just my opinion of course. I missed PRU again cause I was busy. Would have been in st 97, out at 102.

dinghy
Video Poker Master

Post by dinghy »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:02 pm
I hate to say it, but I placed a GTC order for sqqq just now. Roughly 4 points below where it is now.
SQQQ closed near 56, but then ran up near 58 after-hours because SNAP missed on earnings and crashed 31% after losing 3% during regular trading. SNAP influenced some QQQ components such as FB which dropped 7% this evening.

You're trying to buy SQQQ at 52? That's unlikely to happen.
FAA wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:32 pm
Like Microsoft, the P/E is high, but you grin and bear it.
I only want stocks I judge to be better than average values. I don't want individuals just for the sake of general market exposure. For general exposure I can buy broad ETFs such as SPY or VTI.