MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Re: MARKETS,Anybody even yet?

Post by billryan »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:23 am
I will never pay a financial advisor when one’s own research and fact checking can do better.
Why pay a doctor to heal you when everything he knows is available on the web?
A good financial advisor is worth their weight in gold, and will find you ways to make money you simply don't have the time to find on your own.
I used to spend hours pouring over charts and taking online classes on how to find stocks but no longer do so. I do have two managed portfolios and they are great when the market is going down, but not as good when the market is rising rapidly. They spread my money out over various sectors and seem very good at getting out of positions before they go south.
Everyone likes to talk about their home runs and kind of sweep their strikeouts under the rug. Managed portfolios don't hit many home-runs or strikeout much, but produce a lot of singles and doubles.
Just as important to managing your portfolio is managing your lifestyle. Drive a used Mazda today instead of a new Lexus, give the money you save thirty or forty years to grow and your biggest worries in retirement will be how much to leave the grandkids. Or some troll picking apart your every post.

davidearl

Post by davidearl »

billryan wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:23 am
olds442jetaway wrote:
I will never pay a financial advisor when one’s own research and fact checking can do better.
A good financial advisor is worth their weight in gold, and will find you ways to make money you simply don't have the time to find on your own.
I used to spend hours pouring over charts and taking online classes on how to find stocks but no longer do so. I do have two managed portfolios and they are great when the market is going down, but not as good when the market is rising rapidly. They spread my money out over various sectors and seem very good at getting out of positions before they go south.
Everyone likes to talk about their home runs and kind of sweep their strikeouts under the rug. Managed portfolios don't hit many home-runs or strikeout much, but produce a lot of singles and doubles.
Just as important to managing your portfolio is managing your lifestyle. Drive a used Mazda today instead of a new Lexus, give the money you save thirty or forty years to grow and your biggest worries in retirement will be how much to leave the grandkids. Or some troll picking apart your every post.
I have to agree with Olds. Why buy a managed fund though a financial advisor, when you can get a better return with a exchange traded index fund, for the price of a stock trade! Homeruns and strikeouts have little to do with the % return. The operating cost of the fund is why exchange traded funds have better returns. No sales commissions, just the stock trade, and you own a piece of every Co. in the exchange. Botta Bing, Botta Bang. :lol: Who said that, and what does it mean?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Why would you want every stock in the exchange? In the simplest of terms, half of the stocks will be in the top half, half will be in the bottom. Why not buy the better ones and leave the laggards behind?
That is the theory, in any case.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Do you get all 31 flavors at Baskin Robbins?

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

This man advised his viewers to cautiously retreat from the markets on August 31. He and his mom went to AC and she decided to stop gambling and buy a nice cashmere sweater similar to the one modeled. Glad that he was off his game on this call.
Attachments
7CD70443-1568-4E01-A68E-06FBF442C2BB.jpeg

davidearl

Post by davidearl »

davidearl wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:10 pm
billryan wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:23 am
olds442jetaway wrote:
I have to agree with Olds. Why buy a managed fund though a financial advisor, when you can get a better return with a exchange traded index fund, for the price of a stock trade! Homeruns and strikeouts have little to do with the % return. The operating cost of the fund is why exchange traded funds have better returns. No sales commissions, just the stock trade, and you own a piece of every Co. in the exchange. Botta Bing, Botta Bang. :lol: Who said that, and what does it mean?
My bad. I meant the Exchange Traded FUND!

davidearl

Post by davidearl »

billryan wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:38 pm
Why would you want every stock in the exchange? In the simplest of terms, half of the stocks will be in the top half, half will be in the bottom. Why not buy the better ones and leave the laggards behind?
First of all, I was answering a post about mutual funds and index funds. Most index funds beat managed funds, so why not get the cheaper run exchange traded fund? I buy stocks myself.

Do you pay your Financial Advisor an hourly fee, or do you buy the products he sells?

And what does "botta bing, botta bang" mean, and who said it?

Are you for whom the bell Trolls?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

davidearl wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:18 am
billryan wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:38 pm

Do you pay your Financial Advisor an hourly fee, or do you buy the products he sells?

My financial advisor in NY was expensive but well worth it. He took a percentage of my portfolio but produced great returns and offered many perks. He was helpful in getting me group health insurance rates when I was an individual, I attended many sporting events in his luxury boxes and his semi-annual events were great networking opportunities and just plain fun. He was a football player from Hofstra and had about a dozen pro athletes and a few minor music stars.
I currently have two managed funds. One charges 1% a year, the other is slightly more. If the funds don't make money for two consecutive quarters, the fees are credited back.
With both funds, I received several thousand dollars in cash for my initial deposits, due to my membership in AARP.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

we are in the presence of greatness. not only are we honored to read expert commentary on every subject he honors us with his extensive knowledge, but his legion of contacts, is remarkable. he knows great financial advisors and some of the best gamblers in vegas. and, his life, as remarkable as it has been, he is willing to share every detail with us. he is a financial wizard, expert gambler, online marketing guru, among many more talents. just ask him, he will tell you.

if there was ever a doubt about what to be thankful for this thanksgiving, look no farther than this forum.

thank you, thank you, thank you....

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

If I was a financial wizard, I wouldn't be advocating using a financial advisor, would I? You continue to make less and less sense with each post.