Spectacular meteor shower tonight.

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Spectacular meteor shower tonight.

Post by billryan »

Tonite is the peak of the November meteor showers and with the new moon, conditions should be spectacular. Locally they are supposed to peak around 2AM, with 15-25 major occurrence an hour, along with dozens of minor ones.
These particular meteors return every year in mid--November and supposedly peaked one year with over 30,000 meteors. I believe it was the biggest meteor storm in history.
In Las Vegas, I would drive about an hour south to watch these somewhere south of Hoover Dam, but here I can just lay on my hammock and watch them. Only drawback is the coyotes miss the moon and will howl all night trying to wake it up.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

From midnight to around 2AM, it was kind of disappointing, with a really bright shooting star every few minutes with a bunch of teasers but then it got really good. In one fifteen-minute period, I'd guess there were a good thirty or forty blazers with an occasional double blazer. Truly amazing.
The coyotes really added to the experience, and it seemed their cries reached a crescendo just before the brightest shooting stars would appear. I'm sure it was a coincidence but it certainly seemed the more they howled, the brighter the blazer.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Thank you for sharing your quite visual narrative, it's almost as if we were there in your hammock watching it with you.