Check out other investments while we wait

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Check out other investments while we wait

Post by olds442jetaway »

Gambling of course isn’t an investment. I am probably going to dip one toe in to the market. This is not financial advice. Just a few things to check out. I have always been a fan of Reits. Of course Covid has hard hit some sectors. Here are some sectors worth I think doing your own research on. Public storage, Data storage, cell towers, and even farms. Anyway, if you have some free time, research this stuff if you find it interesting. I have one self storage Reit I have had for many years. That’s all for now.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

To almost everyone's surprise, the market for collectible comics has exploded during the pandemic.
The first Spiderman is up almost 40% across the board, with an average grade copy shooting well past the $50,000 mark and it's starting to push the $100,000 mark. I'd guesstimate my average sale is up about 30% from a year ago. I expected the opposite as I thought people would be forced to sell in order to pay bills, but new money is coming in at silly levels. I could sell a dozen Hulk 181s today if I could find any. The book rarely sold for even a thousand dollars ten years ago but now is routinely selling for $10,000.
Anything with a Stan Lee signature on it is worth its weight in gold, even though he seemingly spent every waking hour signing stuff the last few years.
Even long-dead books like Conan are joining the parade. I had a mid-grade Conan #1 on my site for $60 for at least a year. I gave it to a friend to auction off and it sold for $205, minus his 10% commission.
Batman 313 was a $5 book for the last twenty years. A character who is first seen in the book is rumoured to be under consideration to be the new Batman and the book is selling for $300 plus. A writer mentions his new villain was inspired by a character in Marvel Spotlight 9 and the book goes from bargain bin to show book and is easily selling for $200. It's nuts. A very good time to be selling.
I'm hearing similar stories from a number of collectible fields. Almost any original Mickey Mantle card has tripled in value this past year or so. Even coins have seen a nice bump.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Very interesting BR. I need to go through my stack of comics from the 1960s. Baseball cards are long gone unfortunately. They got wet in a basement flood when I was up at UCONN. In there was a 1952 Ted Williams. as well as the whole Yankee lineup from 1964-1966. I will have to update some things on the coins. I just haven’t been paying attention to the collectibles much since vp and helping out with my dad. Do you happen to know how trains are doing? HO for the most part. Mostly 1970s vintage. Going through the comics will be an adventure. Havent been disturbed since the 1960s.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Trains are one of the few collectibles I don't really follow. Them and stamps. Just never had much interest in them and I like to invest in things I'm passionate about.
The market for pre-1965 Marvel Comics is red hot. I sold a Spider-Man 38 in Very Good( Average) for $400.
It was a $150 book a year ago.
John Cena just signed to star in an HBO series called The Peacemaker. The Peacemaker's first appearance was in a very obscure comic called The Fighting Five, issue 40, put out by an also-ran company called Charlton.
A friend has a $1500 bounty out on a perfect copy and no one has been able to collect as of yesterday.
If you are going to go through your comics, you might invest a few bucks in protective sleeves for them.

case
VP Veteran

Post by case »

Olds
The drone stocks have gone up a lot lately. Amazon has shown interest in sending parcels by drone. Also starting to use drones to send parcels into isolated areas. Some drone stocks have started to move up but still lots of dips to buy on. Drones look like the future

Another sector (believe it or not) is the magic mushroom stocks. They are the new "weed" stocks of last year. Lots of medicinal uses. Some of these have seen 50% growth in a week. Very cheap right now.

I bought A graphene company called Zen Graphene. Bought on Tuesday at $1.30 and by Thursday was at $2.00

I used to have a few Reits but you have to be careful and pick the right Reits. Shopping malls are becoming a sign of the past and office buildings are cutting back as people work more at home. I do have an industrial Reit that I still hold. Reits often have nice dividends.

I do like your public and data storage stocks. Always looking ahead for what we will need down the road

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

If only we had a crystal ball.....Oh wait, I have one, but when I talk to it, it just stays quiet. Beautiful though. Enerald Green and lots of bubbles inside. Guess I need Harry Potter’s wand to get it to work. Thanks for the heads up. Looks like some more research to do.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

These aren’t investments, but for those who still wear a wristwatch like I do, lots of fun for less than the cost of a cup of Starbucks coffee. In my down time, I poke around on ebay. I like to wear a different watch every day. So if you type in men’s watches then use the filters, thousands of choices will come up I select buy it now, free shipping, and pick a price point, usually 0 to 7 bucks or so. Of course, they all come from China, but have reliable quarts movements. I have bought about ten so far from different vendors and all have been fine. Here are two I boght in the last few months for between 3 and 5 bucks. Free shipping too. Pretty amazing. Of course the extra dials are fake. I get my batteries now in dollar tree. Several on a card for a buck. The batteries usually last a year or two. Ebay once in awhile, Ebay
FFD98F6A-6036-42BB-8305-F6561188056B.jpeg
sends you free money to spend too like ten bucks or so. I always pay with pay pal. The same would work for ladies watches.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

One quick funny story from last year pre covid. A real nice older gent was playing vp on the machine next to me. He asked me what time it was and when I looked at my watch and told him, he said, boy that is a nice watch you are wearing. Around the same time the waitress arrived with our drinks. He tipped the waitress for both of us. Then he said, I left my cell phone in the car and my watch on the bureau this morning. He said my wife used to remind me about such things, but I lost her last year. Of course I told him sorry for your loss. About an hour later, he apologized and asked me for the time again. I took off the watch and said. Here, my glasses are in my jacket and I can’t read it well. He said thanks and when he went to hand it back to me, I said its yours. He didn’t want to take it, but I told him the ebay stories and he reluctantly accepted and put it on immediately. The rest of the evening, when the waitress would come back with water or coffee, my money was no good and he always tipped her for me which I really didn’t want him to do but he insisted. The next day, I just ordered another one for like 4 bucks with free shipping too. I just realized when I typed older gent, that the guy I gave the watch to was somewhere around my age. Hmmmm, guess I just think young.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

For generations, the only place to get a genuine Rollex for less than $10 was on a NYC street corner.
Now, evidently, you can just order one off of ebay. Thank you, China.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

billryan wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:59 am
For generations, the only place to get a genuine Rollex for less than $10 was on a NYC street corner.
Now, evidently, you can just order one off of ebay. Thank you, China.
Where I come from a genuine article Rollex is spelled: Rolex. Yes; maybe you can get a Rollex from Chinna.