MAGA Terrorist Attack on Capitol

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Re: MAGA Terrorist Attack on Capitol

Post by billryan »

notes1 wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:46 am
in 1983,a man was indicted by the usa government on 65 charges. among the charges were tax evasion, wire fraud, trading with IRAN, during the oil embargo when they were still holdings US citizens hostage. conviction on all charges would have lead to a sentence of 300 years. this man fled the country, ended up in switzerland, was on the FBI's 10 most wanted list. at the time, it was the BIGGEST tax evasion case in us history.

certainly, a lovely character. but, his family did contribute over $1m to dem causes, notably the clintons.

in 2001, in his last hours as potus, Bill Clinton-dem gave marc rich a pardon.
And a very Good Morning to you, too.
It's a beautiful day and it is so nice of you to stop by and spread your unique form of sunshine.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

FACTS, even when they come directly from wikipedia, sure seem to bother you.

seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Post by seemoreroyals »

billryan wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 am
I don't believe Olbermann is correct.
I also don't think a person can pardon themself, but even if they did it shouldn't effect impeachment since it isn't a crime.
Jimmy Carter pardoned all the people who might have been charged for avoiding the draft in the Vietnam era even though most hadn't been charged, and Gerry Ford pardoned Nixon even though he had yet to be charged with any crime.
I think, legally, trump could issue a blanket pardon for anyone who participated in the events at the Capitol but it would be political and economic suicide. Remember that trump can only pardon for federal crimes and many DC police officers were attacked, which would be a local crime.
It's nebulous because the founding fathers never envisioned the people would place a villain in the position of being able to issue pardons.
And then again Olbermann may be correct. All those thugs being charged in the MAGA Capitol attack may not be able to be pardoned because they were complicit in the event incited by and leading to trump's impeachment. We shall see.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I don't think Trump has any interest in handing out pardons to the rioters. He has done what he can to try to distance himself from the event, despite his absurdly fumbled initial response during the actual riot.

I don't think anyone would put it past him from trying the self-pardon though. Mixed assessments on that.

felix

Post by felix »

Notes1:

Bill Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich was a stupid and misguided move, and he received plenty of criticism for it at the time. It was a serious error, in my opinion.

Now, what does the Rich pardon have to do with the subject matter at hand?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

seemoreroyals wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:54 am
billryan wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:06 am
I don't believe Olbermann is correct.
I also don't think a person can pardon themself, but even if they did it shouldn't effect impeachment since it isn't a crime.
Jimmy Carter pardoned all the people who might have been charged for avoiding the draft in the Vietnam era even though most hadn't been charged, and Gerry Ford pardoned Nixon even though he had yet to be charged with any crime.
I think, legally, trump could issue a blanket pardon for anyone who participated in the events at the Capitol but it would be political and economic suicide. Remember that trump can only pardon for federal crimes and many DC police officers were attacked, which would be a local crime.
It's nebulous because the founding fathers never envisioned the people would place a villain in the position of being able to issue pardons.
And then again Olbermann may be correct. All those thugs being charged in the MAGA Capitol attack may not be able to be pardoned because they were complicit in the event incited by and leading to trump's impeachment. We shall see.
That's an interesting take on it.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

felix wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Notes1:

Bill Clinton's pardon of Marc Rich was a stupid and misguided move, and he received plenty of criticism for it at the time. It was a serious error, in my opinion.

I heard an interesting take on the Rich pardon many years ago, and subsequent events have made me think it might have been true.
A friend who had immigrated with his family from Israel and who went back there and spent three years in the IDF as a paratrooper told me it was pretty common knowledge in Israel that Rich was a Mossad agent who worked a back channel between the three countries, and that the Israeli government asked Clinton to pardon him. Supposedly, Rich had helped Israel get oil from both Iran and the Saudis and it would have been very problematic if this were to come out in open court.
In another bizarre twist of fate, Rich's assets ended up going to Rubert Murdoch, owner of the Faux News network.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

when the FACTS don't serve your purpose, create an 'interesting', but unproven theory. got it.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I created nothing. Did you bother reading the Wikipedia entry you quoted from?
What purpose is it you think I have? My friend told me this around the time it occurred and nothing was in the press about it. Now there is plenty about it. Go back and read the entry you quoted from or simply google Marc Rich, Mossad.
Every theory, by definition, is unproven.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

felix wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:36 pm
Notes1:

the subject had turned toward pardons. to be fair, i simply pointed out other questionable pardons. i could mention other potus pardons, that were questionable. would you like more?

i didn't bother dealing with keith olbermann. at the very least, he has been in mental decline for some time.