One night in Miami.....

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

One night in Miami.....

Post by billryan »

four legends gathered in a small room, discussing their place in America and in the ongoing fight for their Civil Rights.
Cassius Clay was the newly crowned Heavyweight Champion of the World, Jim Brown was the best football player in the NFL and had just filmed his first movie, Sam Cooke was a top notch music star invited to play at a top Miami hotel, but told that not only could he not stay at the hotel, but he couldn't even enter the place through the front door, and Malcom X was emerging as the alternative to Martin Luther KIng's non-violence movement.
Only Brown is alive today, and I have no idea what he thinks of the movie, but the filmed version is amazing.
I was expecting a black version of The Million Dollar Quartet, but was quite taken by this film.
Sometimes we forget that history is composed of actual people and that no matter how mythical their lives became, people are people.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I can't imagine what it must be like to win the Heavyweight title and then not be allowed to attend a party that your fans are going to, or headlining a sold-out show in a venue where you can't even walk in the front door. Jim Brown came from Long Island, was the best player in the NFL but when he went to buy a house in his hometown of Manhasset was told coloreds could only buy in the decrepit Spinney Hill neighborhood he grew up in. Malcolm X was about to become the most hated man in America and knew it would almost certainly cost him his life. An incredible profile in courage.
It's amazing how far we have come, but it is sad how far we still have to go.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

So when you say that Malcolm X was emerging as the alternative to Martin Luther King's non-violence movement are you saying that Malcolm X was promoting violence, mayhem, and 100% marital fidelity?

"One Night in Miami" is a fictionalized account of one night when these four individuals got together and discussed their roles in the civil rights movement.

Thank you for sharing and make it a great day.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I don't think anyone denies that Malcolm X promoted violence. He didn't think the non-violent movement was achieving its goal and advocated a different route. He strongly suspected he would die for his beliefs but was willing to do so.
The movie certainly would be quite different without him being in it, and I suspect America would be a very different country without him, as well.