free speech and the internet

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
notes1
Video Poker Master

free speech and the internet

Post by notes1 »

stealing a quote from the net, 'the first amendment protects individuals from government censorship.
social media platforms are private companies, and can censor what people post on their platforms, as they see fit'. these 'private' companies enjoy protections that other news sites do not have.

according to PEW RESEARCH, 20% of americans get their news from social media. i am assuming that percentage continues to rise.

question, should social media enjoy same protections as other news media, while still having the right to limit content and censorship.

this should be non political, as each side of discussion has supporters of both positions. i will again assume that these big tech monopolies are spreading money all around DC, to keep their favored treatment. rep and dem pols are both hauling in money.

comments....

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I am for free speech no matter what. Each person is responsible for their own actions. This is a tough one because they are private companies. At least they have lost billions in stock value so far.

seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Post by seemoreroyals »

I am for free speech on the internet until a line is crossed. As long as it is not used to harm others, incite hatred and violence, and promote lie and misinformation. I am not sure why not telling the truth and spreading misinformation is more contagious than the coronavirus. We would all be in a much better place right now is we all simply told the truth and refrained from lies and misinformation.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Do you allow free speech at your dining room table? In your living room?
The Bill of Rights says the government can't stop you from saying something. It most certainly doesn't say a private individual or company has to allow you to say anything you want.
If the owners of this website decided that any non-video poker subject would be banned, it is their right.
If the same owners decided that any speech supporting trump was banned, that is their right
If they did the same thing about Biden, that too is their right.
If an amusement park decided to ban anyone wearing a t-shirt the park felt was offended, that is well within their rights.
The last time the Giants were in the Super Bowl, the party I'd planned for my bar was getting too big, so I rented out the local VFW. We made it very clear it was a Giants party and only NY Giants shirts could be worn. A couple of people showed up in Patriots gear and I explained they couldn't enter wearing them. Most left but one guy actually called the cops and when they laughed at him, he called into a local radio station.
As I mentioned before, the people who complain about their rights generally are the people who understand them the least.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

billryan - you could have just classified those who were wearing Patriots gear as independent contractors and all would have been good at your party.

Question: were those who were wearing Patriots gear veterans? If yes; you barring them from entry into a VFW was a weak move on your part.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

One reason I posted above they are private companies. Unfortunately, people today, take the fake news and social media as gospel. They grew up differently than we did and don’t have all of the face to face interactions. Very easy to manipulate them. Heads buried on the internet and social media.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Tedlark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:37 am
billryan - you could have just classified those who were wearing Patriots gear as independent contractors and all would have been good at your party.

Question: were those who were wearing Patriots gear veterans? If yes; you barring them from entry into a VFW was a weak move on your part.
The VFW rents out it's the hall in order to stay in business. When the Hall is rented out, members are not able to use the facility. That is how things work in the real world.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

billryan wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:35 am
Tedlark wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:37 am

The VFW rents out it's the hall in order to stay in business. When the Hall is rented out, members are not able to use the facility. That is how things work in the real world.
Me and my best friend rented out VFW's for 3 of our Halloween parties so I am fully aware that these are rented out to help pay the bills. Yes; we rented these out in the real world so I am pretty in tune with how things work in the real world. Speaking of the real world; I was once friends with a guy who was on the MTV show "Real World Hollywood: and he died of a drug overdose. That is also how things happen in the real world.