First night in my new house.

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

First night in my new house.

Post by billryan »

Although I won't be moving in full-time for several weeks, I'm spending this weekend at my new house.
We had some precipitation this weekend so I wanted to see how the new roof holds, and I have two Florida rooms that the previous owner would not guarantee were watertight. I had been planning on taking the front bedroom but several people mentioned the street noise might be a problem. While not on a particularly busy street, it does offer a shortcut to the Border Patrol Station so just before and after the shift changes, traffic picks up a bit.
I didn't get much sleep last night, listening to the rain, the traffic, and the noises a seventy-year-old house makes. With no furniture to absorb the sounds, the walls were literally talking to me.
It ended up raining much less than anticipated so the roof wasn't an issue, and I'm beginning to question why they put a solid wall in between the two Arizona rooms instead of including a door. Instead of walking thru a door, you have to walk thru the master bedroom, down a hall into the dining room, go thru the sliding door just to get to the other side of the wall.
Another quirk is that there is a 3/4 bathroom off one Arizona room and a 42x42 inch shower in the other one. While I have neighbors on either side, my backyard is about 100 feet deep and there are no neighbors behind me as it is the tail end of a church property that is undeveloped. The view of Mexico, and especially San Jose Mountain is pretty impressive, but nothing like what I had at the park.
I have until Feb. 15th to vacate my building, relocate my RV, and move in. Then I think I will take a few months off and let my minions run things. I bought a cheap, inflatable hot tub to see if I use it much. The model I liked was almost $7,000 so I want to see how often I use it before putting that kind of money into a permanent one.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

Congrats!

What's a Florida room? or an Arizona room?

You can see Mexico... any caravans working their way towards your property?

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I don't know what the exact definition is, but it is an extension onto the original building that usually doesn't have heat or AC so you can't use it year-round. On Long Island, we would have called them porches. I have overhead fans in both, and a fireplace in the other but will mostly use them for storage/warehousing. Someone told me you can't rent them out as bedrooms or call my house with three bedrooms and two Arizona rooms a five bedroom house

As far as caravans go, some fool put up this forty-foot wall so now you can't see anything approaching the border until they are on top of it.
We are at about 5,000 feet and the mountain is about five miles away as the crow flies and almost 9,000 feet high. Last winter there was snow on the higher portions, but nothing so far this winter. It's been really dry since the Spring.

seemoreroyals
VP Veteran

Post by seemoreroyals »

Hope you enjoy your new home BR. Watch out for those illegals. You know they can dig tunnels and climb walls. The grand poobah is not in charge any more to protect you from them.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

After having to rent a jackhammer to sink the poles for my sunshades, I'm pretty sure no one will be digging any tunnels not authorized by the mining company. Bisbee is an old mining town with what they say are hundreds of miles of former mining tunnels interlaced under it.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Did you rent a jackhammer to sink the poles for your sunshades because there was concrete that you needed to break up before digging the holes? Or, are you referring to an auger (a machine with a screw like device on the end) that is used to drill the round holes for the poles as a jackhammer? Do you wear a toolbelt?

Breakin rocks in the hot sun.....

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Rented a jackhammer because the hand auger( one used by local handymen) only got us down about 20 inches and wetting the rocks and jabbing them with an eight-foot pointed metal pole was giving us another inch or two an hour. The ground here is strewn with rocks and boulders. The poles have to laid out fairly precisely for the shades to be most effective so we had to dig, and on a commercial property they wanted four feet below ground for ten above. Jackhammer cost $92 to rent and saved hours of labor, plus since I had it for 24 hours I got some other use out of it. I told them what I needed it for and it came with the right tool attached.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Rented a jackhammer because the hand auger( one used by local handymen) only got us down about 20 inches and wetting the rocks and jabbing them with an eight-foot pointed metal pole was giving us another inch or two an hour. The ground here is strewn with rocks and boulders. The poles have to laid out fairly precisely for the shades to be most effective so we had to dig, and on a commercial property they wanted four feet below ground for ten above. Jackhammer cost $92 to rent and saved hours of labor, plus since I had it for 24 hours I got some other use out of it. I told them what I needed it for and it came with the right tool attached.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Good work. I'm thinking that the columns (poles) are more laid out "precisely" not for the shades to be more effective but more for structural support of the canopy.

Sorry: I watched a couple episodes of "Flipping Vegas" earlier today.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Best wishes in your new abode Billy.