Concierge Doctors

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
DougJ

Concierge Doctors

Post by DougJ »

It's no secret that Nevada has the worst healthcare system in the States. Nevada consistently ranks in the bottom five. Finding a primary care doctor is a challenge.
So, it's no surprise that Concierge medicine thrives here.

One example here in Vegas: For an annual fee of $2000 per person (not per family), paid upfront, you have access to a primary care physician in Las Vegas who is a "concierge doctor." You get two appointments with this doctor in one year, each appointment lasting up to a maximum of one hour. If you need to see the doctor more than twice in one year, your health insurance is billed for each visit, and you pay your customary co-pay on that third, and all subsequent, visits.

Simple math, if the doctor has 500 patients in his concierge practice, and each patient pays $2000 on January 1st for a year of access, then on January 2nd, that doctor has earned a million dollars . . . without seeing a single patient yet that year.
In larger cities, the annual fee can be over $5000 per person.

I booked an appointment with a "regular" doctor six months ago, for a routine annual check-up. Showed up to that appointment promptly, only to be told, 10 minutes before my scheduled time, so sorry, the doctor took the day off today for some personal time, everyone's appointments cancelled.
No wonder concierge doctors are thriving.

I went to a "doc in the box" today, instead, and paid my miniscule co-pay.

In the future, will just see a doctor when I'm up at LANL (New Mexico), where concierge doctors don't exist. Just curious if anyone has enriched the life of their doctor by joining a concierge practice.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Kool Story, Bro.
Love the creative use of math.