Tony Bennet

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Re: Tony Bennet

Post by Tedlark »

billryan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:10 pm
What a man's man. Was your route before school or after?
Never had a paper route, but made some money hawking personalized Christmas Cards two years.
My first route that I had from 2nd grade through 7th grade was a morning route delivering both the Chicago Tribune and the Chicago Sun-Times. I was up at 4:45 am Monday through Friday to roll and pack the newspapers then it was off to deliver them. While I was rolling them I would watch the Orion Samuelson crop report on WGN tv because back then it was the only thing on television that early in the morning. I'd usually be home by 7:00 am just in time to watch Ray Raynor, also on WGN, eat breakfast and get ready for school.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Two of my best friends delivered papers until their senior year in high school. It turned out Newsday had some great retention bonuses- I know they went to London one year, and Italy another and one got a $250 a year scholarship.
When I opened my first comic shop in Franklin Square, many of my first customers were paperboys. They seemed to have a lot of spending money. Sadly, in 1984, one of the carriers was raped and murdered in a robbery gone wrong. Within months they transitioned to an all adult delivery service.