Tony Bennet

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: Tony Bennet

Post by olds442jetaway »

Thanks again Notes. There is no visiting for a few weeks at my dad’s facility due to Covid. We both got our first shots. I did get a nice facetime call today from my dad from the aide. I know you won’t be missing the weather Blizzard we had yesterday. 18 in of snow. I shoveled 6 1/2 hours today. Paced myself but still. My Toro electric just couldn’t handle the heavy wet cenent like snow. No way to plow either on my small lot with the cars parked close together. Of course the town plow buries you several times usually as you are shoveling. Stay safe and well. That goes for everyone. Many of us posters aren’t spring chickens anymore.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

PS....Where are the roving gangs of kids and teens to shovel? Oh....home playing video games bought by mom and dad of course!! Not even one walked by today.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Very few of those entrepreneurs left. An app did send me an email offering a snow removal labor discount on Monday.

notes1
Video Poker Master

Post by notes1 »

olds, it is a different world when it comes to teens wanting to earn a couple of bucks, than years ago.

about 33 years ago we moved to chapel hill, nc. less than a mile from the UNC campus was a grocery store. the grocery store always had a help wanted sign, ALWAYS, even with 20,000 students a mile away. i could never understand it. and, our cars rarely could compete against the quality and year of many of the students cars.

it wasn't all kids, there are plenty of fine parents, who didn't raise spoiled kids.

i/m/o, it all started with 'participation awards'. the end result, adult "kids" want the rest of us to pay for their choice of college, and the related costs. screw the folks and their hard working kids that paid their way.

and, because they can vote, biden will likely give these 'needy' folks what they want.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Wishing Tony and his family well. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease for the victim and loved ones.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

notes1 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:00 am
olds, it is a different world when it comes to teens wanting to earn a couple of bucks, than years ago.

about 33 years ago we moved to chapel hill, nc. less than a mile from the UNC campus was a grocery store. the grocery store always had a help wanted sign, ALWAYS, even with 20,000 students a mile away. i could never understand it. and, our cars rarely could compete against the quality and year of many of the students cars.

it wasn't all kids, there are plenty of fine parents, who didn't raise spoiled kids.

i/m/o, it all started with 'participation awards'. the end result, adult "kids" want the rest of us to pay for their choice of college, and the related costs. screw the folks and their hard working kids that paid their way.

and, because they can vote, biden will likely give these 'needy' folks what they want.
In Rochester, most places wouldn't hire college students. They wouldn't be around for the holidays, or the summer would want time off for finals, etc, etc. It wasn't that the college students didn't want work, it was most stores wouldn't hire them. Just about the only jobs available were in bars, as the owners tried to hire popular students who would bring in their friends.
There was a convenience store about five miles from the city, that I would pass that always had help wanted signs. I applied once and was told they were looking for locals but would keep my application on file. Two years went by, with the sign up but no call.
When one chooses to live in a black and white world, one misses out on the very mosaic that makes this country great.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

FAA wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am
Very few of those entrepreneurs left. An app did send me an email offering a snow removal labor discount on Monday.
That is ridiculous. There are far more entrepreneurs today than ever. It's just there are a brazzilion better ways to make money than shoveling snow. Let's see, should I shovel snow for $15 an hour or mine bitcoins for $250 per hour. Rake leaves or sell on ebay?

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

billryan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:03 pm
FAA wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:35 am
That is ridiculous. There are far more entrepreneurs today than ever. It's just there are a brazzilion better ways to make money than shoveling snow. Let's see, should I shovel snow for $15 an hour or mine bitcoins for $250 per hour. Rake leaves or sell on ebay?
Who charged by the hour for shoveling snow as a youngster to pick up some extra cash? Me? My rate was a flat 10 bucks for the driveway and the sidewalk. I also had my first paper route in 2nd grade.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

What a man's man. Was your route before school or after?
Never had a paper route, but made some money hawking personalized Christmas Cards two years.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

I don't recall a Tony Bennet song about shoveling snow nor about working in a restaurant or grocery store. Then again, I am not familiar with his entire song book. Enlighten me please.