Tejas

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Tejas

Post by billryan »

The old Indian fighter Phil Sheridan once famously remarked that if he owned both hell and Tejas, that he'd live in hell and rent out Tejas. I wonder how many residents wish they had taken his advice.
For at least twenty years, experts have been warning of the dangers of Texas's power grid not being connected to the US grid, but texicans being texicans meant they wanted to stand alone. Who needs to put warming systems on wind turbines when they live so far south? Why put anti-freezing mechanisms on natural gas pipelines when it hardly ever freezes? Why waste money preparing for the 500 hundred year storm when your term of office is only eight years?
Then, when your grid fails and leaves tens of millions without heat or electricity you can always blame it on the New Green Deal.

felix

Post by felix »

The problem in Texas is that when Ted Cruz left to go to Mexico there was no hot air left.

Buffilita

Post by Buffilita »

The residents of Texas need help now. Point fingers later.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Thank you BR for mentioning General Sheridan's quote a second time in the last 3 weeks. It is a good quote though and I do have many friends and some family who live in Texas. The cold weather simply had some of them changing their wardrobe from shorts to long pants.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

felix wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:20 pm
The problem in Texas is that when Ted Cruz left to go to Mexico there was no hot air left.
You may be aware that I lean a bit to the right, but I must say that is a good funny line ! Was it impromtu ??

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Buffilita wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:12 pm
The residents of Texas need help now. Point fingers later.

Thoughts and prayers for the people of Texas.

Lucky Larry
Video Poker Master

Post by Lucky Larry »

A cold "howdy" from Houston. Sweet C and I are doing well and so blessed compared to so many other fellow Texans. First, the personal. As many say everything is big in Tejas/Texas. Its 862 + miles east to west on I-10 and 800+ miles from the north/south points. And, the Houston area is huge. We and most of the kids live in small towns/suburbs around the Houston (669 square miles) and in Harris County (1,777 square miles and 4 million people) home of Houston. Harris Co. has over 30 separate cities/towns some small and others huge around Houston. Sweet C and I were without electricity for only 18 hours and had water until Tuesday. When our city lost power the water plants shut down. When the electricity came back on and the water pressure built back up we had a pipe burst. Luckily, our leak is on an outside valve so I fixed it enough to turn water on and off as needed. (Estimated plumbing repair currently 1-2 weeks). Carrie lost power for 2 days/water 2 days. Another daughter "D" lost power and now has a new sprinkler system in her ceilings. Oh, and tonight we heard her boyfriend who turned off her water slipped on ice this afternoon and broke his leg in two places. D will be busy since she works for a major water testing company. Son "M" and wife had no power 3 days and no water. Our youngest up further north in College Station has had water and power all the time and 8" of snow and ice. Grandkids have lost power and water multiple days.

Other good news. Today we got our second dose of Pfizer. Yeah!!! Well organized and efficient inspire of the local conditions. 45 minutes total from parking to leaving the parking lot at the world's largest medical center-Houston's Texas Medical Center (almost 5 square miles of over 60 medical institutions/hospitals, 13 teaching hospitals, 106,000 employees and 10 million patients per year.. (Another brag!)

In all seriousness, please pray for our fellow Texans, so many are in such pain and suffering. And, this will be a long-term crisis/disaster. The Texas Insurance Board already estimates this will the worst financial disaster overcoming Hurricane Harvey.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Prayers on the way LL. If you could send one back for my dad too it would be great. At least he is out of the hospital and in rehab. Covid he got from an asymptomatic physical therapy worker. Got my second shot on the 10th. The Mrs. is scheduled for her first next Saturday. Prayers continuing for folks out your way and really everyone to stay healthy and well.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

LL. Here is something I always keep on hand for emergencies I am sure you are familiar with JB Weld‘s various products. This one will fix a leaky pipe if you can get at it it sets underwater. Hopefully it would be fine until you can get a plumber out there and maybe it would help your kids and others too. I always keep it on hand and carry it in my car. My old Saturn and I still miss
2A29CAF0-43F1-485D-A066-0A376BBCFB49.jpeg
and ran till almost 400,000 miles had a leak in the radiator I plugged it with this stuff and it was fine and still not leaking when I had to eventually recycle it due to the multiple repairs it needed. I am pretty sure you could get it out your way. If not I’m sure you could order it. It is called water weld a typical two-part clay like Epoxy. Here is a photo that might help.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I will try and give the short version of another time I was bailed out with the water weld. Back in 2017, my wife and I were up at Mohegan sun. It was very late and I left her there for a quick side trip to Foxwods. We had her Nissan Sentra. On the way up there,A big deer decided to jump out of the woods head on into the Sentra. And rolled over the top of the car. Poor thing died but I was extremely lucky. The car was smashed in the front really badly. Somehow I summoned the strength to pull the radiator support away from the engine block and the radiator with it. Of course it had multiple leaks. It is a rural area. The hood was bent in half and up against the windshield. I bent that out too. Anyway, I had the water weld with me and bungee cords. I will skip all of the other things I had to do but I got the radiator plugged up,the front of the car held together with bungee cords, drove it back to the Mohegan garage, and drove it home which is about 60 miles away the next morning. Believe it or not, everything held together. When I took the car in for an estimate, the damage was over $5000 and they totaled the car,But the water weld and bungee cords kind of made everything a bit less stressful that evening and the next day. If even one person in Texas is able to use the stuff to help them out temporarily it will make my day.