Why is everyone so excited?

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Re: Why is everyone so excited?

Post by billryan »

The old " good guy with a gun" excuse.
Now it's my turn to laugh my ass off.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

I'd be willing to bet that there were a good number of gun owners present in that store. However most gun owners don't bring their gun grocery shopping every day. I'm not sure I want to live in a society where that's what is necessary in order to feel safe. We can do better.

We are watching our fellow citizens get gunned down on a regular basis and doing little to change it. This level of violence is neither normal nor expected. People are the problem, but having easy access to guns is what allows those people to commit these crimes.

We should not have a complete ban on guns in the USA. Short of that, I think any restrictions and regulations should be open for discussion. We rarely make progress on this front because people get stuck in absolutist arguments.

Gun-free zones are for the most part an absurdity. City regulations have a limited scope of effectiveness. State laws provide much better regulation and crossing state lines for these crimes is of course possible but rare. The impact of a national ban or policy would obviously be far greater than any local policy. We should be careful when it comes to any restriction, but also wise in realizing that not all restrictions are unreasonable or unhealthy for society.

There is obviously the concern that criminals will not 'hand over their guns." That there will be black market guns. Those circumstances don't fit the profile of almost all mass shootings in this country.

If watching our fellow citizens get gunned down on a regular basis isn't enough for us to desire a change, I'm afraid I don't have any better ideas. We cannot simply accept this.

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

At the risk of repeating myself , IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS !!! if a deranged killer or other criminal cant get a gun because of gun control laws that stop many law abiding citizens from protecting there families and self , then these criminals will go on the black market to get a gun very easily !! IS the above statement very hard to grasp ?? I guess so , I guess so !!!

advantage playe
Video Poker Master

Post by advantage playe »

advantage playe wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:32 pm
At the risk of repeating myself , IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS !!! if a deranged killer or other criminal cant get a gun because of gun control laws that stop many law abiding citizens from protecting there families and self , then these criminals will go on the black market to get a gun very easily !! IS the above statement very hard to grasp ?? I guess so , I guess so !!!
AS ABOVE !!! bill ryan , I will not be censored !!!

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

What are you carrying on about?

billkuyk
Forum Rookie

Post by billkuyk »

There was an armed citizen in the store, the officer who was killed.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

I think the point here is that all murder is wrong and there is no excuse for any of this. However, the left and the media were quick to assume that the Colorado shooter was some generic white guy. Look at what Kamala Harris' niece tweeted and then had to delete. All of the victims were white and the shooter didn't spray bullets, he selected his victims. Hate crime?

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

If you want to decry the influence of the media, start with the fact that 10 people were murdered and your anger is directed at a tweet by the niece of Kamala Harris. Who gives a ****? This is how the media on both sides influences our thoughts on these things. What matters is that this was yet another senseless killing, one of a great many in the past several years. Something must be done, and there are very sensible reforms that can be made that are far short of taking away all our guns. Something people shouting "IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS" seem unable to comprehend.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

Eduardo wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:47 am
If you want to decry the influence of the media, start with the fact that 10 people were murdered and your anger is directed at a tweet by the niece of Kamala Harris. Who gives a ****? This is how the media on both sides influences our thoughts on these things. What matters is that this was yet another senseless killing, one of a great many in the past several years. Something must be done, and there are very sensible reforms that can be made that are far short of taking away all our guns. Something people shouting "IF GUNS ARE OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL HAVE GUNS" seem unable to comprehend.
Oh, I disagree. These kids are being taught that all white people are evil. Ultimately this will cause much more harm. There will be backlash, it's what always happens. Stop with the hate. There is also a narrative that the anti -Asian hate crimes are from Trump supporters, but this is not the case. Over 90% of the hate crimes in NYC are being committed by people of color. Can we have an open, honest conversation on this without being called names?

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

There is certainly a place for that conversation about race and it is important. I don't believe it should figure into the conversation about mass shootings (even if the media tries to make it that way). Most of these mass shootings are not related to race. Making it so is a distraction to meaningful gun law reforms.