Vaccines

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Re: Vaccines

Post by Eduardo »

Can't understand you guys. Look past all the media noise, any political hoopla or "experts" you want to look past and just look at the basic facts and what doctors have faced.

Close to 600,000 Americans have died. Most in your age group. Hospitals have been overwhelmed when this goes unchecked. You have a simple vaccine at your disposal that is more than 90% effective at keeping you from getting this disease and close to 100% effective in preventing you from being killed by it. Why take your chances?

On top of that, getting vaccinated helps your entire community put this to rest. You each have the right to choose what you want, but I say let's exterminate this plague, which means as many of us as possible doing our part and getting vaccinated.

I've gotten my first and look forward to my second. My hope is that each of you will do the same. We may be very close to the end of this, but thousands of people are still going to die. Please don't be one of them.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

Eduardo wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:53 pm
Can't understand you guys. Look past all the media noise, any political hoopla or "experts" you want to look past and just look at the basic facts and what doctors have faced.

Close to 600,000 Americans have died. Most in your age group. Hospitals have been overwhelmed when this goes unchecked. You have a simple vaccine at your disposal that is more than 90% effective at keeping you from getting this disease and close to 100% effective in preventing you from being killed by it. Why take your chances?

On top of that, getting vaccinated helps your entire community put this to rest. You each have the right to choose what you want, but I say let's exterminate this plague, which means as many of us as possible doing our part and getting vaccinated.

I've gotten my first and look forward to my second. My hope is that each of you will do the same. We may be very close to the end of this, but thousands of people are still going to die. Please don't be one of them.
I agree Eduardo. Almost all of my family and friends, Democrats', Republicans, etc. have gotten at least one shot. Unless you have severe allergies or another condition where your doctor recommends not getting vaccinated, you should get one. I am 7+ weeks out from #2 and doing fine. BTW Wildman, someone I know from Michigan finally decided to get her first shot after a number of friends in Michigan came down with Covid including one who got it for the second time.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

OTABILL wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:17 pm
billryan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am
It seems like Arizona has pretty much reached the saturation point for people who want the vaccine., with most still needing the second shot.
It has, rather bizarrely, become a political mess. Almost without exception, the Democratic leaning areas have much higher vaccination rates than the other counties, and how a particular zip code voted in the last election is an almost perfect predictor of the vaccination rate.
I am not sure how you can determine that Democratic leaning areas in AZ have greater participation than other areas. If you are looking at urban vs rural that's one thing. Remember, particularly in Maricopa County, vaccination sites have drawn people countywide. In fact, regarding state run sites, folks could be going there from other counties as well. Last week, I accompanied a friend to the Mesa Community Center. People from all over came, my friend lives 20 miles away in a strong "republican" area. I have no clue where all those getting vaccinated live. When the State started giving vaccinations at State Farm Stadium, many of my neighbors went,, driving 40 miles in the middle of the night. Before I was able to luckily find a closer site at a reasonable time, I had signed up for a Saturday night at 11:50 pm. A couple of my friends had appointments at 2:00 am.
The article I am referencing says they are going by the zip codes of people who have received at least one shot. Not where the shots are being given. That would skew heavily Democratic as many people traeled to Pima and Maricopa. Those numbers are also playing out nationwide. I believe nine out of the ten lowest states percentage wise for getting vaccinated went to Trump, with Georgia being the only low vaccination state to go to Biden.
I hope people realize a booster shot is meaningless if you don't get the original vaccine?

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Sure. No avoiding the booster regardless of company, I assume.

Eduardo
Video Poker Master

Post by Eduardo »

A booster is still very much TBD, but yes... I imagine there will be one for all of the current vaccines.

There might be a chance that J&J would come up with a single dose adaptation for the latest strains but I haven't heard such a thing as on the table yet so it's certainly not worth holding out for at the moment.

The potential for any booster really depends on where we are in the Fall, I believe. All current strains are well defended by the existing vaccines. Should there be further mutation or we continue to maintain high levels of infection throughout the country, a booster becomes increasingly likely. Young kids who don't currently qualify will probably get a different variant of the vaccine aimed at whatever strains are most prevalent at the time.

But waiting for a booster without getting the current vaccines is pointless. You give up all of the guaranteed short term benefits for the possibility of one less shot? Only if you are more afraid of a prick in the arm than a potentially lethal virus does this make sense to me. Unless you do intend to mask up for the next year when most everyone else has immunity. Which would be lame.

Most of us are gamblers here. But gamble with your money, not your life or the lives of those you love. Get the shot. You won't believe the peace of mind that comes along with it.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I have to agree as much as I don’t fully trust the vaccines. In fact there is a second mutant strain in Brazil that is resistant to both antibodies and the vaccines. No doubt headed this way if not here already.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

My brother in law is a great artist. Now semi retired. He knocked this out last year. Thought it would look good on this thread
E25837EB-DBE8-463C-B569-6E58C193AFA0.png

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

That really is very good art work. Curious to see how much more impactful it can be with the black negative space cropped out. I will eventually get the vaccine during short sleeve season to minimize the inconvenience.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

billryan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:16 pm
OTABILL wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:17 pm
billryan wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am
It seems like Arizona has pretty much reached the saturation point for people who want the vaccine., with most still needing the second shot.
It has, rather bizarrely, become a political mess. Almost without exception, the Democratic leaning areas have much higher vaccination rates than the other counties, and how a particular zip code voted in the last election is an almost perfect predictor of the vaccination rate.
I am not sure how you can determine that Democratic leaning areas in AZ have greater participation than other areas. If you are looking at urban vs rural that's one thing. Remember, particularly in Maricopa County, vaccination sites have drawn people countywide. In fact, regarding state run sites, folks could be going there from other counties as well. Last week, I accompanied a friend to the Mesa Community Center. People from all over came, my friend lives 20 miles away in a strong "republican" area. I have no clue where all those getting vaccinated live. When the State started giving vaccinations at State Farm Stadium, many of my neighbors went,, driving 40 miles in the middle of the night. Before I was able to luckily find a closer site at a reasonable time, I had signed up for a Saturday night at 11:50 pm. A couple of my friends had appointments at 2:00 am.
The article I am referencing says they are going by the zip codes of people who have received at least one shot. Not where the shots are being given. That would skew heavily Democratic as many people traeled to Pima and Maricopa. Those numbers are also playing out nationwide. I believe nine out of the ten lowest states percentage wise for getting vaccinated went to Trump, with Georgia being the only low vaccination state to go to Biden.
I hope people realize a booster shot is meaningless if you don't get the original vaccine?
I am not confident in zip code being a reliable indicator. It is a known fact that there is lower vaccination rates in minority communities which vote heavily Democrat. https://www.ajmc.com/view/disparities-i ... us-rollout

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I'm guessing you didn't read the article you linked. It talks about the high percentage of minorities being vaccinated in Arizona.
Strange how people can't accept simple math and try to twist data.