The rediscovered joy of cooking

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
billryan
Video Poker Master

Re: The rediscovered joy of cooking

Post by billryan »

billryan wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:18 am
I had a friend in NY that was the third generation of pizza makers. His grandfather was Umberto, of Umberto's Pizza and his great grand uncle started what is now known as Uno, or Pizzeria Uno. He started out washing dishes at his family pizza joint around age ten and every male in his family works one day a week in the kitchen, something his grandfather insisted on. This way they can quickly see any problems that come up.
Anyway, I asked him why we no longer see the bubbly brown cheese on pizza and he says most places use an inferior blend of cheeses and the filler products burn at a much higher temperature. He said it was easier to burn the bottom crust than some cheese blends.

TripleTriple
VP Veteran

Post by TripleTriple »

Somehow over the years pizza has become more and more cheese and less and less sauce. Give me tomato pie.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Agree. As a kid, of course we had no money. We would bike anout 2 miles to Rocco’s pizza which was the next town over near the beach. Anyway, there was usually 4 of us and we would scrape together the 60 cents needed for a small for the best tomato pie I have ever had to this day. We would usually combine it with a fishing trip at the shore. We didn’t have enough money for sodas, but sometimes Rocco would treat us. We always made sure we just didn’t pay for the pizza, but left him 3 quarters including tip. We would always go when it was slow like 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Rocco enjoyed our company as well. He had only been in this country a few years and told us stories about how horrible the war was especially Mussolini and how he got his just deserves. We were All history buffs even back then and learned so much that you could never get out of a book growing up. This would have been 1956-1961 or so.
Last edited by olds442jetaway on Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I just made simple burgers on the grill tonight. Pickles, coleslaw, fresh tomato, and the wife’s cold pasta salad tri color which is to die for. I made it to the local Starbucks just before it closed I am kind of hooked now on their Americano which is a couple of shots of espresso mixed with hot water and turned into coffee. Very good if nobody has tried it yet.