Random Thread

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Re: Random Thread

Post by olds442jetaway »

Yes Doris. In fact by coincidence, my post where I say have to agree on that one Ted was referring to the post Ted made about the smoker and not what BR posted about asking him to identify. BR’s post wasnt even there when I made mine. Maybe the time zone differences causes confusion like that

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Always love hearing from you Doris. Getting back to the car stuff for a moment, Chrysler introduced fluid drive in 1939. It was so you could shift without a clutch. Many Dodges, Chryslers, and even Desoto had it well into the early 1950s. The push button drive like I had in My 1961 super Fury, was just a substitute with mechanical linkage for the column shift lever. I loved it by the way. Great for drag racing one of your buddies. My 1963 Valiant had it as well. As to the tires, I never got 40,000 miles out of mine in the old days. Guess I burned too much rubber peeling out. Bought lots of recap tires back then. Only got about 15,00O miles out of them. Only paid between 8-12 bucks apice and I had my own bubble wheel balancer at home. I was too cheap to pay to get them balanced at the tire shop. Of course no money back then either. I got quite creative inventing ways to boost the power in my cars. Wish I had patented some of them. I even had a homemade water injection system into the carb, altered fuel jets, timing boosts, and on and on. Oh well, ancient history now. Computers control the world.

onemoretry
Video Poker Master

Post by onemoretry »

billryan wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 11:00 pm
Dear Ted
Please let us know who you are addressing your post to so that the appropriate members will respond.
If you are a smoker who pollutes the air, and then pollutes the land, as well, by tossing your garbage out of your car window - it's for you. Otherwise, just ignore it.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

Today's gripe is the way some drivers, of ALL ages, have stopped using turn signals when required. Signaling turns, signaling lane changes, motorists have just stopped using turn signals.

Come on people: be a polite driver.

Tomorrow's gripe may be on some motorists and their inability to figure out proper merging techniques.

doris13
Video Poker Master

Post by doris13 »

don't forget ignoring stop signs and red lights

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Around here if you don’t allow at least 10 seconds when the light turns green you were going to get T-bones by somebody running the light there is almost no enforcement. The average speed on I-95 is now between 80 and 85 mph I wouldn’t mind that so much except people are doing it and tailgating at the same time. The biggest offenders by far around here are BMWs and Volkswagen Jetta’s and similar. Luckily my ELANTRA is pretty fast and can blow away many of them before they try it unsafe maneuver

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

Bisbee has one traffic light, which blinks yellow about ten hours of the day. There are a couple of stop signs and one traffic circle. I don't recall seeing an accident since I've lived here until you go into Sierrra Vista some 35 miles away. I can go weeks without seeing a red light.
Sometimes I think about how much time I've wasted sitting in traffic to get someplace or to work. I never really factored that into the Quality of Life .

DougJ

Post by DougJ »

olds442jetaway wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:09 pm
Around here if you don’t allow at least 10 seconds when the light turns green you were going to get T-bones by somebody running the light there is almost no enforcement. . .
When we moved to Vegas, my insurance agent told us to always wait at least 10 seconds when the stop light turns green, because a green light in Vegas does not mean "GO!" The red-light runners here are usually California license plated cars. Unfortunately, there are a LOT more Californians here now, scooping up Vegas homes. Low inventory, sky-high prices, but our average home price is well below California. Speaking of home prices, folks like old Billyboyryan are looking mighty stupid now (who could have guessed that?) . . . yup, RENTING a tiny ghetto apartment in Henderson, then living in a used derelict trailer/RV. Buying a junk building in AZ. Wow, that's super financial advice old billy was dispensing, we are all laughing. :D :D :D :D

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I can't speak for anyone else but your post certainly makes me laugh.

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

Some food for thought before your next deli fix. I stumbled upon this online while considering some less than appealing hunks of meat area places offer:
Consuming even small amounts of processed meat increases the risk of colorectal cancer. "We see a 4% increase in the risk of cancer even at 15g a day, which is a single slice of ham on a sandwich,” said Dr. Nigel Brockton, director of research for the American Institute for Cancer Research. Eating a more typical serving of 50g of processed meat a day increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%."