Random Thread

Talk about your new shoes, new car, or UFO's!
Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Re: Random Thread

Post by Tedlark »

FAA wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Some food for thought before your next deli fix. I stumbled upon this online while considering some less than appealing hunks of meat area places offer:
Consuming even small amounts of processed meat increases the risk of colorectal cancer. "We see a 4% increase in the risk of cancer even at 15g a day, which is a single slice of ham on a sandwich,” said Dr. Nigel Brockton, director of research for the American Institute for Cancer Research. Eating a more typical serving of 50g of processed meat a day increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%."
No shite???

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

I'm sure you had those numbers on the tip of your tongue, like everything else you must inhale, Dr. L. Condescension must surely be on your birth certificate.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

I guess I have inhaled enough secondhand smoke, consumed enough bacon and ham, and been exposed to toxic chemicals to do me in several times over. While at all costs, I will avoid secondhand smoke, I do really enjoy my ham and eggs. I guess at this point, it is about quality of life within reason.
Probably the worst thing of all I did for 30 years or so pursuing my hobby of wood refinishing and restoring antiques was working with methelene chloride often with poor ventilation and of course no mask back then. This stuff can kill you in minutes. It can cause cancer and eat holes in your heart and on and on. Who knew back then though!! Even my co worker who sat 3 feet from me had a mound of ashes on his desk from his three pack a day habit. Guess you can guess what did him in in his early 50’s. Every day is a gift and I am thankful for mine.
Speaking of gifts, my other half or as she would say my other 3/4 just made this. From scratch too. How can I resist? At least I cut a small piece !!!!
ABCC05B1-D96A-48E6-BE97-E639600D1EA3.jpeg

FAA
Video Poker Master

Post by FAA »

My cholesterol has risen in the past year of beginning bad habits. I've deleted the discounted fast food apple pies. Now this news may have killed my subs craving for a good year.

Tedlark
Video Poker Master

Post by Tedlark »

FAA wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 6:18 pm
I'm sure you had those numbers on the tip of your tongue, like everything else you must inhale, Dr. L. Condescension must surely be on your birth certificate.
Is random drug testing of forum posters conducted on this site? I have established reasonable suspicion after reviewing this post.

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

A new original owner comic book collection was revealed this week. There had been rumors about it for several months about the sheer size and unbelievable condition.
This week Heritage Auctions announced they had been chosen to bring the books to market.
It's estimated to be north of 5,000 comics so just grading them will cost over $250,000.
Supposedly, the first twenty books that were graded were random selections and the majority of them came back as the finest example. If this holds up across the board, the collection may bring in $25 million or more.
There are hints about the original owner, but some of the facts seem a bit mangled.
As told, the collection was put together by two brothers starting in 1943. There are a bunch of books that go back to the late 1930s but they are not high grade like the later books.
The older brother got drafted in 1950/51 and the younger brother joined as soon as he was 18.
It seems the younger brother was killed in action and the older brother promised to take care of their collection. It seems someone back home kept buying them as the collection ends in 1953/54.
Sometime around twenty-five years ago, a family friend saw the books and convinced the family to buy protective bags and boards for them. Without examing most of the books, he explained to the now elderly older brother that they could bring in $100,000 or more.
According to the story the family tells, the older brother died last year and his heirs contacted an antique dealer who wasn't interested. Eventually, a dealer worked out a deal to hook the family up with the auction house.
It appears to be the best collection uncovered in the last forty years, if not ever.
I'll be a bidder on a few of the Captain Americas but I suspect these books will each set the record for the highest sale.

Carcounter
Video Poker Master

Post by Carcounter »

FAA wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 5:35 pm
Some food for thought before your next deli fix. I stumbled upon this online while considering some less than appealing hunks of meat area places offer:
Consuming even small amounts of processed meat increases the risk of colorectal cancer. "We see a 4% increase in the risk of cancer even at 15g a day, which is a single slice of ham on a sandwich,” said Dr. Nigel Brockton, director of research for the American Institute for Cancer Research. Eating a more typical serving of 50g of processed meat a day increases the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%."
Not a subject we like to talk about, but I go for my screenings on a regular basis. It's really no big deal. The prep is the worst. The procedure is painless.

OTABILL
Video Poker Master

Post by OTABILL »

billryan wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 7:05 pm
A new original owner comic book collection was revealed this week. There had been rumors about it for several months about the sheer size and unbelievable condition.
This week Heritage Auctions announced they had been chosen to bring the books to market.
It's estimated to be north of 5,000 comics so just grading them will cost over $250,000.
Supposedly, the first twenty books that were graded were random selections and the majority of them came back as the finest example. If this holds up across the board, the collection may bring in $25 million or more.
There are hints about the original owner, but some of the facts seem a bit mangled.
As told, the collection was put together by two brothers starting in 1943. There are a bunch of books that go back to the late 1930s but they are not high grade like the later books.
The older brother got drafted in 1950/51 and the younger brother joined as soon as he was 18.
It seems the younger brother was killed in action and the older brother promised to take care of their collection. It seems someone back home kept buying them as the collection ends in 1953/54.
Sometime around twenty-five years ago, a family friend saw the books and convinced the family to buy protective bags and boards for them. Without examing most of the books, he explained to the now elderly older brother that they could bring in $100,000 or more.
According to the story the family tells, the older brother died last year and his heirs contacted an antique dealer who wasn't interested. Eventually, a dealer worked out a deal to hook the family up with the auction house.
It appears to be the best collection uncovered in the last forty years, if not ever.
I'll be a bidder on a few of the Captain Americas but I suspect these books will each set the record for the highest sale.
BR, speaking of comic books, have you heard of this restaurant in Phoenix? https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/arizona ... nt-az/?utm

billryan
Video Poker Master

Post by billryan »

I had not. Thanks for the link. Marvel was working to franchise a nationwide eatery in the mid 90s that I looked at just long enough to know I couldn't afford, but then they went bankrupt.
I don't expect to be in Phoenix any time soon, but I'll pass it along to some people.

olds442jetaway
Video Poker Master

Post by olds442jetaway »

Speaking of comics, BR, I bought a small stack at an estate sale in the early 1970s for almost nothing. I had never heard of any of the characters. I am guessing they date from the 1960s and early 1970s. Guess I should look for them and see what I have.